Why is my new laptop's hard drive and RAM not fully usable?

• Thread starter sportsstar469
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary: However, as it is, you have 220gb that is usable and 197gb that is "free." It is normal for the hard drive to be partitioned in this way. Additionally, you do not have an operating disk that came with the computer. You should have gotten one.
sportsstar469
the laptop is supposed to have a 250GB hard drive. i was expecting it to have around 247. anyway i checked th4e specs and it says it only has a 220 gb max drive size and 197 gb is usable. s this normal? or should i complain?

also the ram is supposed to be 3gb but it says only2.75 is useable?

Physics news on Phys.org
When it says 2.75 useable, does it say "useable" or "free"? There is a difference. Also: where does it say this. What's likely happening is Windows is reporting only the unused memory on your computer.

For the hard drive: It was most likely partitioned into two partitions: a small one that contains restoration data, and another one with everything installed onto it. The 197 usable is after OS and software installation.

SticksandStones said:
When it says 2.75 useable, does it say "useable" or "free"? There is a difference. Also: where does it say this. What's likely happening is Windows is reporting only the unused memory on your computer.

For the hard drive: It was most likely partitioned into two partitions: a small one that contains restoration data, and another one with everything installed onto it. The 197 usable is after OS and software installation.
(sorry capsZ)
YEAH BUT WHY IS IT ONLY A 220 GB SIZE WHEN I SHOULD BE GETTING 250?

My HD is about 233 GB and about 15 GB is for recovery.

dlgoff said:
My HD is about 233 GB and about 15 GB is for recovery.

hd? d you mean hp? anyway was it supposed to be 250? i paid for a 250gb. i could see if it was 247, and 220 was useable..but its 220 and 197 is useable lol.

sportsstar469 said:
(sorry capsZ)
YEAH BUT WHY IS IT ONLY A 220 GB SIZE WHEN I SHOULD BE GETTING 250?

I just told you: it's been partitioned into two: small (probably around 25-30gb) with restoration data and a larger partition (around 220gb) for your OS installation. The 197gb is what's left after your OS and software are installed.

If you want to, you can reinstall (format everything and delete all the partitions) to get some more GB/find out the exact size.

P.S. HD = hard drive

rootX said:
If you want to, you can reinstall (format everything and delete all the partitions) to get some more GB/find out the exact size.

P.S. HD = hard drive

Yeah that's the only way to do it. Remember though you're HD doesn't exactly hold that much information... I've never had one that held perfectly the amount anyways.

As for the RAM that happens normally when you mix ram chips together. Normally if you want to do that you should buy 'dual'.

Check your BIOS to make sure though it SHOULD say the correct amount there.

Sorry! said:
I've never had one that held perfectly the amount anyways.

One factor to keep in mind is that hard drive manufactures report sizes in metric (1 kB = 1000 B) while most OSs report them in binary units (1 kB = 1024 B).*

* No, I will not use kiB, MiB, etc..

Sorry! said:
Yeah that's the only way to do it. Remember though you're HD doesn't exactly hold that much information... I've never had one that held perfectly the amount anyways.

As for the RAM that happens normally when you mix ram chips together. Normally if you want to do that you should buy 'dual'.

Check your BIOS to make sure though it SHOULD say the correct amount there.

whats a bios? my laptop is weird i have to go to my computer to check out the specs. if i right click the main screen the properties option isn't there like on my old pc. also i don't have an operating disk that came with my pc? should i have gotten one? i have windows 7 if that helps? i keep getting a popup on my computer telling me to create an acer backup disk though. (acer is the brands)

CRGreathouse said:
One factor to keep in mind is that hard drive manufactures report sizes in metric (1 kB = 1000 B) while most OSs report them in binary units (1 kB = 1024 B).*

This probably explains why 220 Gb is reported, and the OS and restoration probably accounts for the remaining ~20 Gb.

Using that math, 250 megabytes becomes 232...and again, you didn't say where/how you are reading this, so it is tough for us to know what it means.

I bought an HP not that long ago. Mine is the same as yours, 250gb hd and only 197gb available. As noted that measurement system could be part of it and then you have the huge windows OS on there, plus back up, and then all of the other programs that came with it.

Yes, you paid for a 250gb hd, and if you didn't want an OS and such on there maybe you could have requested that.

Related to Why is my new laptop's hard drive and RAM not fully usable?

1. How can I ensure that my new laptop is protected against viruses and malware?

To protect your new laptop against viruses and malware, you should install reputable antivirus software and regularly update it. You should also avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading files from unknown sources.

2. What are some important features to consider when buying a laptop?

Some important features to consider when buying a laptop include the processor speed, RAM, storage capacity, graphics capabilities, and battery life. It's also important to consider the size and weight of the laptop if you plan on traveling with it.

3. Can I upgrade the components of my new laptop in the future?

It depends on the specific laptop model, but in most cases, you can upgrade the RAM and storage capacity of your laptop. However, other components such as the processor and graphics card may not be easily upgradeable. It's best to check with the manufacturer for specific upgrade options.

4. How do I transfer data from my old computer to my new laptop?

You can transfer data from your old computer to your new laptop in several ways. You can use an external hard drive or USB drive to transfer files, use a cloud storage service, or connect both devices to the same network and transfer files wirelessly. Some laptops also come with software that can assist with data transfer.

5. What is the recommended way to take care of my new laptop?

To take care of your new laptop, you should keep it clean by regularly wiping the screen and keyboard with a soft, dry cloth. Avoid eating or drinking near your laptop to prevent spills. You should also store your laptop in a protective case when traveling and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or humidity.