Why is My Hand Tingling When I Hold Strong Magnets?

• Thread starter Kakarot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, the magnets in the clock are vibrating at a high frequency, and this vibration is being felt by the person holding the magnet.
Kakarot
i got some strong magnets from work which i think are neodymium magnets. well i was messign with them and i held them in my hand and put my hand near my alarm clock/radio and then my hand began to tingle or feel weird when it got close to it. can someone give me an explanation for this :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Kakarot said:
i got some strong magnets from work which i think are neodymium magnets. well i was messign with them and i held them in my hand and put my hand near my alarm clock/radio and then my hand began to tingle or feel weird when it got close to it. can someone give me an explanation for this :biggrin:
Maybe the magnetic force jas transferred onto your hand, and is affecting the electric energy in your clock/radio. (I'm no expert, so I may be wrong) :smile:

I'm going to guess that the clock/radio runs on AC, that it is plugged into the wall socket, and isn't battery operated. Right?

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I'm going to guess that the clock/radio runs on AC, that it is plugged into the wall socket, and isn't battery operated. Right?

this is correct. does the current go thru the air and into my hand/magnet or something lmao

I think what is happening is that the magnets are responding to the magnetic field of the transformer in the clock. In other words, they are vibrating at 60 cycles per second in response to the transformer oscillations, and this rapid vibration is senced by your hands as a "tingle".

maybe the magnet is interacting with the iron in your blood?

gravenewworld said:
maybe the magnet is interacting with the iron in your blood?
I have never actually checked, so I don't know, but I think if you look up and find out what it actually is we call "iron" in blood, is probably a compound of iron, and not one that is magnetic. If it were, you could get a powerful magnet to stick to a person. This just doesn't happen. People all over the world are put into the unbelievably powerful magnetic fields of MRI scanning machines every day and no human flesh has ever stuck to one.

zoobyshoe said:
I think what is happening is that the magnets are responding to the magnetic field of the transformer in the clock. In other words, they are vibrating at 60 cycles per second in response to the transformer oscillations, and this rapid vibration is senced by your hands as a "tingle".

hmm yea i think that might be it because i tried it again and i think the magnet is just vibrating really fast lol

Related to Why is My Hand Tingling When I Hold Strong Magnets?

1. Why does my hand tingle when I wake up in the morning?

This tingling sensation in your hand is most likely caused by temporary compression of the nerves in your hand while you were sleeping. This can happen when your hand is in an awkward position or when you put pressure on your hand while sleeping.

2. Why does my hand tingle when I use my phone for too long?

This tingling sensation is often caused by repetitive strain on the nerves in your hand from holding your phone in the same position for an extended period of time. It can also be a result of poor posture while using your phone, leading to compression of the nerves.

3. Why does my hand tingle when I exercise?

During exercise, your muscles produce lactic acid which can irritate the nerves in your hand, leading to tingling sensations. Additionally, certain exercises that involve repetitive movements or putting pressure on your hands, such as weight lifting, can also cause tingling.

4. Why does my hand tingle when I am anxious or stressed?

Anxiety and stress can cause your body to produce excess adrenaline, which can lead to tingling sensations in your hands. This is because adrenaline can cause your muscles to tense up, putting pressure on the nerves in your hand.

5. Why does my hand tingle when I have a pinched nerve?

A pinched nerve occurs when there is pressure on a nerve, either from surrounding tissues or a misalignment of the bones in your hand. This can cause tingling sensations as the nerve is unable to function properly. It is important to seek medical attention if you suspect you have a pinched nerve.