Why Is My Calculation of Rotational Inertia Incorrect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the rotational inertia of three identical balls fastened to a massless rod. The correct answer is 3/4 of the attempted solution, which could indicate a flaw in the answer book or a possible error in the distribution of mass in the first ball.
sskk221

Homework Statement

Three identical balls, with masses of M, 2M, and 3M, are fastened to a massless rod of length
L as shown. The rotational inertia about the left end of the rod is:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1424/1234sjy.jpg

Homework Equations

I = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I total = (3M)(0)^2 + (2M)(L/2)^2 + (M)(L)^2

I total = 3ML^2/2

It says the answer is 3ML^2/4 though. Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes MD SHAHARIAZ ALAM
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...

[tex]
I = mr^{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
I = (3M)0^{2} + 2M(\frac{L}{2})^{2}) + ML^{2}
[/tex]

Therefore;

[tex]
I = \frac{1}{2}ML^{2} + ML^{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
I = \frac{3}{2} ML^{2}
[/tex]

I get the same as you.

The definition of the moment of inertia is;

SUM( miri2 ) So I'm preaty certian that we are following the correct method. So perhaps it is some arithmetical mistake we are both making.

2/4 is 1/2 yes and 1/2mr2 + mr2 is mr2(1/2 + 1)
(1/2 + 1) = 3/2. Nope. I think your answer book might be flawed.

UNLESS you are meant to use the distribution of mass in a sphere for the first mass (3M). Mindyou, because they havn't given you a radius for the sphere I would assume not.

Haths

Your solution is incorrect because you have not taken into account the distance of each ball from the point of rotation. The correct equation for rotational inertia is I = Σmr^2, where m is the mass of each object and r is the distance of the object from the point of rotation. In this problem, the distance from the left end of the rod to the first ball (with mass M) is L/2, the distance to the second ball (with mass 2M) is L, and the distance to the third ball (with mass 3M) is 3L/2. Therefore, the correct equation for rotational inertia is:

I total = (M)(L/2)^2 + (2M)(L)^2 + (3M)(3L/2)^2

I total = ML^2/4 + 4ML^2 + 9ML^2/4

I total = 14ML^2/4

I total = 7ML^2/2

Therefore, the correct answer is 7ML^2/2. This can also be simplified to 3.5ML^2, which is equivalent to 3ML^2/2. So, both the given answer and your attempt at a solution are correct.

Related to Why Is My Calculation of Rotational Inertia Incorrect?

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass of the object and its distribution around the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia different from linear inertia?

Rotational inertia is similar to linear inertia, but it applies to rotational motion instead of linear motion. While linear inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its linear motion, rotational inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its rotational motion.

3. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object. This formula can be used for simple shapes like a point mass or a solid sphere, but for more complex shapes, the moment of inertia can be calculated using integrals.

4. How does rotational inertia affect the stability of an object?

Objects with a higher rotational inertia are more stable and resistant to changes in their rotational motion. This is because they have more inertia and therefore require more force to change their rotational state. For example, a figure skater can spin faster by pulling their arms and legs closer to their body, reducing their rotational inertia and allowing them to rotate faster.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia is important in many everyday activities, such as riding a bike, playing sports, and even opening a door. It is also crucial in engineering and design, where it is used to optimize the stability and performance of machines and structures. In addition, understanding rotational inertia is essential in fields such as physics, astronomy, and robotics.