Moment of inertia for composite objects

In summary, the moment of inertia for a composite object can be found by adding the individual moments of inertia and applying the parallel axis theorem if necessary. For the first image, the total moment of inertia is equal to 1/12ML^2 and the parallel axis theorem is used to find the final moment of inertia. For the second image, the center of mass for the vertical thin rod is at a distance of L/2 from the axis of rotation, making the total moment of inertia equal to 1/6ML^2.
vetgirl1990

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia of these composite objects.

I've attached two different composite objects; each rod has length L and mass M.

Homework Equations

I = Icm + MD2
Long thin rod with rotation axis through centre: Icm = 1/12ML2
Long thin rod with rotation axis through end: Icm = 1/3ML2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) For the image on the left:
I first found the total inertia of the objects: Icm total = 1/12ML2
Then applied the Parallel Axis Theorem, because the composite object is rotating parallel to the actual axis of rotation: I = 5/12ML2 + 2MD2 (where D is the distance between the object's centre of mass and axis of rotation).
Feedback on this?

(b) For the image on the right:
Since one of the rods are going through the axis of rotation, I don't think I need to apply the Parallel Axis Theorem... So I just found the total inertia for both objects based on where their axis of rotation is.

I = ICM axis through centre + ICM axis through end
= 1/12ML2 + 1/3M(L/2)2
= 1/12ML2 + 1/3ML2/4
= 1/6 ML2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 4.59.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 4.59.00 PM.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 812
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give some more details about your determination of the ##I_{cm}## for the first image? I don't see how it turns out to be the same as that of a single rod about its center.

You shouldn't need to use the parallel axis theorem for either situation.
For part (b), aren't all points on the vertical thin rod at a distance of L/2 from the axis of rotation;
or in other words where is the center of mass of the vertical rod in part (b)?

Related to Moment of inertia for composite objects

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia for composite objects?

The moment of inertia for composite objects is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It takes into account the distribution of mass and the distance of each mass element from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for composite objects?

The moment of inertia for composite objects is calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia of each component of the object. This can be done using the parallel axis theorem, which takes into account the distance between each component's center of mass and the axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia for point masses and composite objects?

The moment of inertia for point masses is calculated by summing the individual masses and their distances from the axis of rotation. However, for composite objects, the distribution of mass must also be taken into account, making the calculation more complex.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia affects an object's rotational motion by determining how much torque is required to change its rotational velocity. Objects with larger moments of inertia will require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with smaller moments of inertia.

5. Are there any real-life applications of moment of inertia for composite objects?

Yes, moment of inertia for composite objects is used in various engineering and design applications. For example, it is important in designing structures that need to resist rotational forces, such as bridges and buildings. It is also used in the design of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure proper stability and control during rotation.