Why is My 240v Line Voltage Only Measuring 16v Between Line Phases?

In summary, the homeowner has lost power in their house, they are using a flute volt,amp,digital meter to measure voltage and they are seeing that both line to line and line to neutral voltage are normal, just not between line-line. If all devices are working properly, then the problem may be with the meter or with the voltage being measured.
moopiehead
why am I only getting 16v between both line phases coming into my service from the meter on a 240v single phase panel for a home

Engineering news on Phys.org
moopiehead said:
why am I only getting 16v between both line phases coming into my service from the meter on a 240v single phase panel for a home
What are you using to measure this?

moopiehead said:
am using a flute volt,amp,digital meter

Give us a bit more info:

You are looking at this because you have lost power in your house or because you are just curious?

You are seeing normal voltage between lines and neutral, just not between line-line?

If you have lost power, how much have you lost:
Everywhere?
About half of outlets?
Just 250V appliance (central air)?

Just 240 v equipment water heater ac unit all 120 v equipment and devices work

Sorry if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs but are you certain that you have V AC selected?

moopiehead said:
Just 240 v equipment water heater ac unit all 120 v equipment and devices work

If all devices work properly, you are getting line to line of 240 and line to neutral 120.

Either you meter is broken or you do not have it set to VAC...or perhaps you have it on the wrong scale!

psparky said:
If all devices work properly, you are getting line to line of 240 and line to neutral 120.

Either you meter is broken or you do not have it set to VAC...or perhaps you have it on the wrong scale!

He said his 240 volt appliances are NOT working. He has lost one side and most likely the reason the 120 volt appliances all work is because they are being fed THROUGH the 240 volt appliances. My recommendation is to turn off ALL 240 volt appliances and he will find a bunch of 120 volt things that no longer work.

Related to Why is My 240v Line Voltage Only Measuring 16v Between Line Phases?

1. What is the difference between 240v line voltage and 120v line voltage?

240v and 120v refer to the voltage of alternating current (AC) electrical systems. The main difference between them is the amount of voltage each carries. 240v is a higher voltage than 120v, meaning it can deliver more power and can be used for larger appliances and equipment.

2. How is 240v line voltage measured?

240v line voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is a type of electrical measuring instrument. The voltmeter is connected to the circuit or outlet, and it measures the difference in electrical potential between the two points.

3. Is 240v line voltage safe?

240v line voltage can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety precautions and use proper equipment when working with high voltage. It is recommended to have a licensed electrician handle any 240v electrical work.

4. How can I convert 240v line voltage to 120v?

To convert 240v line voltage to 120v, you can use a step-down transformer. This device will reduce the voltage from 240v to 120v, making it safe to use with lower voltage appliances and equipment.

5. What are some common applications of 240v line voltage?

240v line voltage is commonly used for larger household appliances such as electric stoves, dryers, and air conditioners. It is also used for commercial and industrial equipment, such as large motors and machinery.