Line and Phase voltages differences

• Thread starter PhysicsTest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Phase
In summary, when studying 3 phase systems, it is important to understand that in a Star connection, the Line voltage is √3Vϕ and leads the phase voltage by 30 degrees. However, in an inverter design, the Line to Ground or phase voltage may be different from the expected sine wave pattern. The topic of 3 phase AC systems is not only applicable to motors, but also to household supply. Additionally, when working with transformers, it is important to note that a star to delta transformer may introduce a phase shift of ±180°±30°. This means that the high harmonic content of inverter voltages and currents may not follow the same rules as an ideal sinusoidal 3PH supply.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
I want to understand the difference between the line and phase voltages.
When i study the 3 phase systems, this is want i understand for a Star connection Line voltage is ##\sqrt 3 V_\phi## and leads the phase voltage by 30Degrees.
1611981341120.png
1611981358866.png
----> eq1
So, from above we can conclude that both Line voltages and phase voltages are sine waves with phase difference.
But in case of Inverter design in place of the 3 phase system, if i refer the application note i attached, the Line to Ground or phase voltage is different from line voltages as shown below. The line voltages are sine waves with 120 degrees apart which is as expected.

1611981571108.png
1611981899883.png

Fig1 Fig2
a. Is the eq1 still applicable?
b. If the terminals coming out of the inverter let us say are R1, Y1, B1, and if i observe the waveform of R1,Y1,B1 on an oscilloscope, will i see the waveform of Fig1? and I can see the waveform of Fig2 only with differential probe?
The topic i read for 3 phase AC systems may not be directly applicable to motors alone, it is applicable to house hold supply as well. I am confused if i can compare them ?

Attachments

• 01017A.pdf
    313.9 KB · Views: 159
Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicsTest said:
When i study the 3 phase systems, this is want i understand for a Star connection Line voltage is √3Vϕ and leads the phase voltage by 30Degrees.
A star to delta transformer can introduce a phase shift of ±180°±30° depending on how it is connected.
Harmonics of the fundamental may be phase shifted or canceled differently in different transformers. So the high harmonic content of the inverter voltages and currents will not necessarily allow you to follow the rules you use on an ideal sinusoidal 3PH supply.

Related to Line and Phase voltages differences

1. What is the difference between line and phase voltages?

Line voltage refers to the voltage between any two lines in a three-phase power system, while phase voltage refers to the voltage between a line and the neutral point. In a balanced three-phase system, the line voltage is √3 times higher than the phase voltage.

2. Why is it important to understand the difference between line and phase voltages?

Understanding the difference between line and phase voltages is crucial in designing and operating three-phase power systems. It helps in selecting the appropriate equipment and calculating the power consumption accurately.

3. How do line and phase voltages affect the performance of electrical equipment?

Line and phase voltages have a direct impact on the performance of electrical equipment. Uneven or unbalanced voltages can cause equipment to overheat, reduce efficiency, and even lead to equipment failure. Therefore, it is important to maintain balanced voltages in a three-phase system.

4. Can the line and phase voltages ever be equal?

No, in a three-phase system, the line and phase voltages will never be equal. The line voltage will always be higher than the phase voltage by a factor of √3. However, in a single-phase system, the line and phase voltages are the same.

5. How can the difference between line and phase voltages be measured?

The difference between line and phase voltages can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter should be connected between any two lines to measure the line voltage and between a line and the neutral point to measure the phase voltage. The difference between the two readings will give the √3 factor.