Why is mass dependent on inertia and not vice versa?

In summary, inertia is a fundamental property of an object that always can be observed, while mass is a concept we use to describe an observable, the resistance to changes in a state of motion.
meloettakawaii
in here:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/Lesson-1/Inertia-and-Mass

Mass as a Measure of the Amount of Inertia
u2l1b7.gif
All objects resist changes in their state of motion. All objects have this tendency - they have inertia. But do some objects have more of a tendency to resist changes than others? Absolutely yes! The tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion varies with mass. Mass is that quantity that is solely dependent upon the inertia of an object. The more inertia that an object has, the more mass that it has.

they say mass is a measure of inertia... why is that the case?
why isn't inertia a measure of mass?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because there are no units for inertia? I think historically it was just a matter of realizing they are basically the same thing.

meloettakawaii said:
in here:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/Lesson-1/Inertia-and-Mass

Mass as a Measure of the Amount of Inertia
u2l1b7.gif
All objects resist changes in their state of motion. All objects have this tendency - they have inertia. But do some objects have more of a tendency to resist changes than others? Absolutely yes! The tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion varies with mass. Mass is that quantity that is solely dependent upon the inertia of an object. The more inertia that an object has, the more mass that it has.

they say mass is a measure of inertia... why is that the case?
why isn't inertia a measure of mass?

It is historical. The word, "inertia", is Latin for "idleness", among other meanings. Latin was used by Newton, Kepler, and many others. The word carries on in modern treatises about motion because the original treatises were written in Latin and it's good to know the roots. The word is there to make you question where/how these ideas originated (more Latin).
An object has "idleness" (inertia, remains at rest) and stays that way unless acted upon by an outside force.
Does that help? Mind you, I'm putting words into Newton's mouth and I probably shouldn't be. I neither read nor write Latin. I've never read the original works, but given the meaning of the word, "inertia", I can guess where it was used. There wouldn't be a connection to the word, mass. Perhaps there are a few here who might know better than I.

It's a good thing to know the roots of the words used and where they are/were used. This post was generated due to my own horrible lack of knowledge of Latin. It in no way means to answer, definitively, the original post. I'd be just as curious, but I bet my shot in the not-so-dark hit fairly well close to the mark.

P.S. Keep an eye out for Latin and one may find it everywhere in the romance and Germanic languages. It is prevalent in chemistry, biology, medicine and other studies,

Likes xAxis
HI there
meloettakawaii,
i had the same doubt in my mind when i read the same article at same site( i.e. physicsclassroom.com).

i noticed that I'm not the only one with such doubt and i mailed the creator, Tom Henderson with that question and here is what Tom Henderson has to say in reply

" Here it is:

Inertia is the observable quantity. We observe inertia every time we push on an object. The push is resistance by the object. Heavier objects resist the push more than light ones. This tendency to resist a change in a state of motion would exist even if we did not have any words like heavy or light or mass. Inertia is a fundamental property of that can always be observed. On the other hand, mass is a concept we have created to describe observables, one of those observables being the resistance to changes in the state of motion. It is in this sense that mass is a measure of the amount of inertia an object possesses.

Post if you wish
. "

hope this helps. this answer is directly his word and has no chance of being wrong unless Tom Henderson himself is wrong and i doubt of him being wrong.

The word "inertia" gives no extra meaning, compared to the word "mass". The statement, "Mass is a measure of the inertia" does not convey any meaning, since then we raise the question, "What is inertia?" Notice that a statement such as "heavier objects resist change in motion better than light ones do" raises the question, what is heavy and what is light? This brings us right back to where we started.

Modern textbooks on physics emphasize the operational definition involving force, mass and acceleration. I refer you to standard textbooks such as the one by Knight.

The point is that you don't need the word "inertia" for a logical development of the concepts of physics.

Chandra Prayaga said:
The word "inertia" gives no extra meaning, compared to the word "mass". The statement, "Mass is a measure of the inertia" does not convey any meaning, since then we raise the question, "What is inertia?" Notice that a statement such as "heavier objects resist change in motion better than light ones do" raises the question, what is heavy and what is light? This brings us right back to where we started.

Modern textbooks on physics emphasize the operational definition involving force, mass and acceleration. I refer you to standard textbooks such as the one by Knight.

The point is that you don't need the word "inertia" for a logical development of the concepts of physics.

hey what's the name of the standard book by Knight? i hope online PDF is available, right? thanks in advance.

Physics for Scientists and Engineers, A Strategic Approach with Modern Physics, by Randall D Knight. ISBN: 978-0321740908

I would prefer "coexists with" as opposed to "solely dependent on".

Related to Why is mass dependent on inertia and not vice versa?

1. Why is mass dependent on inertia and not vice versa?

Mass and inertia are closely related concepts, but they are not interchangeable. Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration, while inertia is a property that describes an object's tendency to remain in its current state of motion. In other words, an object with a larger mass will require more force to accelerate, but an object with a larger inertia will be more difficult to change its state of motion. This is why mass is dependent on inertia, not the other way around.

2. How does mass affect an object's inertia?

The more mass an object has, the greater its inertia will be. This is because a larger mass means a larger amount of matter, which requires more force to change its state of motion. For example, a bowling ball has more mass than a ping pong ball, so it will have a greater inertia and be more difficult to move.

3. Is there a direct relationship between mass and inertia?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between mass and inertia. As the mass of an object increases, so does its inertia. This is because inertia is a property that depends on mass, and the more mass an object has, the more inertia it will have.

4. Can inertia be measured directly?

Inertia cannot be measured directly, but it can be calculated using an object's mass and acceleration. This is because inertia is a property that describes an object's response to changes in its state of motion, and it is not something that can be measured with a physical tool.

5. Why is mass often referred to as an object's "resistance to acceleration"?

Mass is often referred to as an object's "resistance to acceleration" because it describes how much force is needed to change an object's state of motion. The greater the mass, the more force is required to accelerate the object. This is why objects with a larger mass are more difficult to accelerate than objects with a smaller mass.