Why is it so hard to explain friction?

In summary: Friction in the macro world is just like friction between two objects in the micro world: it has a direction and it affects the speed of the objects involved.
Almada R
While in class, my Thermodynamics professor came up with an interesting fact, that neither I nor my colleagues were ever aware of: While you may have heard that friction influenciates the movement in Newtonian Mechanics, no one really knows what friction is.
And so I have been wandering why it is so hard to explain something that is so natural to us? What are the physics behind this? Hope you can help clarify my doubt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Err, what? As far as I am aware, we know exactly what friction is. Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean?

Friction is an average behavior. At the molecular level, surfaces are very irregular. Stressing a crystal lattice by pushing it, is a molecular level problem.

I think what the professor meant, is that without complete knowledge of the atoms in the materials, we can not have detailed knowledge of the forces.

In particle physics, quantum mechanics and Newton's laws apply and there is no friction.

But on a macro level, the average behavior is very well described by friction.

Yeah, just like people say no one really knows what gravity is. :rolleyes:

Likes Vanadium 50, Bystander and davenn
Another "I don't understand it so nobody understands it" thread.

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
I think what the professor meant, is that without complete knowledge of the atoms in the materials, we can not have detailed knowledge of the forces.
Or that we don't have a useful general predictive model for friction coefficients. We usually derive them empirically, without knowing/caring what actually happens on the microscopic level.

Likes Almada R and sophiecentaur
A.T. said:
Or that we don't have a useful general predictive model for friction coefficients.

The key word is "useful". There certainly is a working microscopic model. It's complicated because what we call "friction" corresponds to multiple microscopic processes. It's complicated because even in simple systems many different materials are involved: a piece of aluminum can have aluminum, three different oxides, and many different contaminants, all contributing. It's complicated because you have grain boundaries, orientations, and, and, and...

But this is saying that this is a complex problem, not that there is a fundamental lack of understanding. Nobody would say we don't understand atomic physics just because we can't calculate the color of lead (82 electrons) from the Schroedinger Equation.

Likes Aaron Crowl, Almada R, russ_watters and 1 other person
One aspect of friction that seems to confuse a lot of people is how to decide on the direction that a friction force is acting. When a car is accelerating, people have a problem with the fact that it's friction between wheels and ground that drives the car forward and yet we say that friction slows things down. But that's because people want to apply a simple rule to every situation without thinking it through. It's not a problem really.

Likes Almada R

Related to Why is it so hard to explain friction?

1. Why is friction important to understand?

Friction is important to understand because it is a fundamental force that affects everyday life. It is responsible for the motion of objects, the grip between surfaces, and the ability to walk or drive on surfaces. Understanding friction can also help us improve technologies and design more efficient machines.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the contact and interaction between two surfaces. When two surfaces are in contact, microscopic imperfections and irregularities on their surfaces create resistance against motion, leading to the force of friction.

3. Why is friction sometimes helpful and other times harmful?

Friction can be both helpful and harmful depending on the situation. In some cases, friction provides necessary grip and traction, such as when walking or driving. On the other hand, friction can also cause wear and tear on surfaces and slow down the motion of objects, making it harmful in certain scenarios.

4. How does friction affect energy efficiency?

Friction plays a significant role in energy efficiency. In most cases, friction results in the conversion of kinetic energy (motion) into heat energy, which is lost and not usable. This means that friction can reduce the efficiency of machines and processes, and efforts are often made to reduce friction in order to improve energy efficiency.

5. How can we reduce friction?

There are several ways to reduce friction, such as lubrication, using smoother surfaces, and reducing the contact force between surfaces. Lubricants, such as oil or grease, can help reduce friction by creating a layer between the two surfaces. Smoother surfaces have less irregularities, resulting in less resistance and friction. Additionally, reducing the force between two surfaces can also reduce friction, such as using wheels or ball bearings in machines.