Why is math so hard? Can anyone truly understand it?

• Thread starter beamthegreat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Pdes
In summary: Later in the summary, you could mention other reasons a civil engineer might need to understand complex analysis, such as stability analysis or material science.In summary, this conversation is discussing how math can be difficult for some people and how it's important to keep trying even when it seems like the tasks are too hard. The person is also mentioning how Complex Analysis is not easy and it might take more effort to learn it. They also mention how the math class is the weight room for the mind and how it's important to exercise the brain cells. They also mention how a civil engineer might need to understand complex analysis for stability analysis or material science.
John d Marano said:
Philosophy . . .
Maybe that's why Bertrand Russell was famous for both.

Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
You confused difficulty with complexity. These are very different things.
I try not to philosophize too much on PF, I won't argue.

Maths is easy if you have the patience to do the grind work that goes with it, obviously those that don't like to work, i.e lazy people, they will find maths as a really big pain.

FactChecker said:
Maybe that's why Bertrand Russell was famous for both.

Deductive reasoning, logic and set theory all gave me a real advantage in the one philosophy course I took. The course was called "World Religions" and the professor was an atheist; the class was a blast!

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:
It occurs to me that math may be the only field where there is abstraction for its own sake. Abstraction certainly has great benefits in math.

It seems to me that these two sentences contradict each other. If the abstraction was for its own sake, it wouldn't be there because of a benefit external to the abstraction. If the abstraction has benefits, then the abstraction isn't for its own sake.

That being said there are other fields with sub-disciplines which use a lot of abstraction. Cellar biology, organic chemistry, the various cognitive sciences, economics, and linguistics all benefit a great deal from abstraction in various forms.

Likes FactChecker
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I try not to philosophize too much on PF, I won't argue.

Maths is easy if you have the patience to do the grind work that goes with it, obviously those that don't like to work, i.e lazy people, they will find maths as a really big pain.
In other words, Mathematics is not easy.

symbolipoint said:
It is.

Anything that is worthwhile requires work, I would think that mundane work as wiping the floor are harder than doing maths.

symbolipoint said:
It is.

Anything that is worthwhile requires work, I would think that mundane work as wiping the floor are harder than doing maths.
Okay; you are a genius.

Likes S.G. Janssens
beamthegreat said:
I used to like math when I was in high school. Calculus (integration and derivatives) seem intuitive to me and made me understand math so much better.

Now I'm currently in university majoring in civil engineering taking Calc III and I feel overwhelmed by everything taught in class. No matter how hard I try, I cannot understand things intuitively and everything feels disconnected. I can solve problems given by my professor but I have no clue what I am doing or what the answers even mean.

Why is math so hard?
I just love maths. I am also an Engineering graduate. And am sure that for the first 2 years, I scored the highest marks for maths. Try doing the problems again and again. Work out similar problems. Maths is not too hard. :)

I would think that mundane work as wiping the floor are harder than doing maths.
There is much more to floors than one would think at first glance.

Likes Dr. Courtney and Logical Dog
Krylov said:
There is much more to floors than one would think at first glance.
As a joke it's a poor one.