Why is it hard to love chemistry while juggling other challenging courses?

• Thread starter Delong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of enjoying science and specifically, the different branches of it. The participants discuss their personal preferences for physics and biology over chemistry, but also mention learning to appreciate chemistry as a study of substances and materials. Some express difficulty in enjoying chemistry while taking other difficult classes, but ultimately agree that a solid understanding of chemistry is beneficial in any scientific field.
Delong
Hi everyone I really like all of science but my two favorite sciences so far are physics and biology. I've always thought it odd that I like these two sciences but don't like chemistry as much. When I was first taking chemistry I found it boring, especially organic chemistry. But after a few months of it I learned to appreciate it more and chemistry in general. What made it change is that I started viewing chemistry as the study of substances and materials. Suddenly it became a more interesting science to me because everything around us is made of substances and materials. I became curious what things were made of and what properties that material had. I also liked learning about the chemistry of rocks and minerals and how different crystals were made. That said I still enjoy physics and biology more but I learned to appreciate chemistry more. I'm wondering if anyone is in the same spot as me? Did you find yourself like physics and biology more but oddly not interested in the more central science?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess my topic was kind of stupid.

My views are kind of similar. I'm a physics major, and I love learning about biology. Chemistry, although very interesting, just seems very tedious to me. I have a year of General Chemistry left to take, which I'm going to be doing the next two semesters. I'm looking forward to taking it, just to deepen my understanding of it...but at the same time I'm not looking forward to it. Writing out reactions and structures and whatnot is not my favorite thing to do. It's really not all that complicated, but it can be very tedious at times.

Anything that will deepen your understanding of science is worthwhile though. Having a solid grounding in chemistry will be beneficial in virtually any other scientific field.

Thank you for answering. General chemistry I thought was pretty easy.

I had nearly the same experience but with the high school equivalents of those subjects instead. I only hope I will have the same experience as you when I enter university in September.

My not having a good grasp of chemistry almost led me to rule out a science degree but I'll give myself a chance. Maybe I will feel better with chemistry after seeing it from a new angle in a new setting.

Personally, I think I'd find chemistry a lot more fascinating if I wasn't taking chemistry classes at the same time as math, physics, and other GenEd courses. It really is a very interesting subject, and some of the labs I've had have been really cool. But, when it's on top of several other difficult classes, it's harder to enjoy it.

Thus far, I've only had an Intro Chemistry class, and I did enjoy it. I found it to be a really intriguing topic, but very tedious as well. The next two semesters are going to be General Physics, General Chemistry, Calculus, Anthropology, and Spanish, so I'm going to have a heavy work load. I know I'll enjoy Physics, Calculus, and Anthropology. Spanish, not so much, but I don't have a choice. Hopefully I'll manage to enjoy Chemistry too. I think I will.

Related to Why is it hard to love chemistry while juggling other challenging courses?

1. What is the best way to start learning chemistry?

The best way to start learning chemistry is by building a strong foundation in basic chemistry concepts such as atoms, elements, and chemical reactions. This can be achieved through reading textbooks, watching educational videos, and practicing problems.

2. How can I make chemistry more interesting?

One way to make chemistry more interesting is by relating it to real-life applications and examples. You can also try conducting experiments and hands-on activities to see the concepts in action.

3. What are some common misconceptions about chemistry?

Some common misconceptions about chemistry include that it is only for students who are good at math, or that it is only about memorization. In reality, chemistry involves critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and math is just a tool to help understand the concepts.

4. What are some resources for learning chemistry?

There are many resources available for learning chemistry, including textbooks, online courses, educational videos, and tutoring services. Your school or local library may also have resources available for you to use.

5. How can I improve my chemistry skills?

To improve your chemistry skills, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try reviewing concepts you have learned in the past and applying them to new problems. Additionally, staying organized and keeping up with class lectures and assignments can also help improve your skills.