Why is i^2 equal to negative one and not positive one?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of imaginary numbers, specifically the square root of -1 (i) and how it is not unique in complex numbers. The laws that work for positive real numbers do not always apply to complex numbers. The conversation also mentions the concept of split-complex numbers and their applications in factoring polynomials and representing rotations in the complex plane. The participants thank each other for their insights on the subject.
srfriggen
Someone please tell me what is wrong with this logic:

i = √-1

i2= √-1√-1 = √(-1)(-1) = √+1 = 1

But also i2 = (√-1)1/2= -1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The square root is not unique any more in the complex numbers. The laws that work for positive real numbers don't work for complex numbers in general.

... and the property of radicals that you used -- ##\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}## -- is applicable only if both a and b are nonnegative.

Thank you all for the response, much appreciated!

The symbol, i, was defined as the imaginary number which, when squared, gives -1. That definition should not be violated. It worked out very well with several other things. It allows every polynomial to be factored completely. It provides a good way to represent rotations in the two-dimensional complex plane with multiplication by complex numbers.

micromass said:
How does it come you know all the exotic corners out there? I'm flabbergasted every single time.
But that's not what I wanted to say. I like to take the chance to thank you for your Insight on the subject. I've linked it now for the third or forth time (hoping it will be read). Very useful.

Likes FactChecker

Related to Why is i^2 equal to negative one and not positive one?

1. Why is i^2 equal to negative one and not positive one?

The imaginary number i represents the square root of -1. When we raise i to the power of 2, we are essentially squaring the square root of -1, which results in -1.

2. How do we know that i^2 is equal to negative one?

This fact is based on the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every polynomial equation of degree n has n complex roots. In the case of i, we can see that i is a root of the polynomial equation x^2 + 1 = 0, which means that i^2 = -1.

3. Why do we use i to represent the square root of -1?

The letter i was chosen by mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century to represent the imaginary unit. It stands for "imaginary" and was chosen because i is the first letter of the word "imaginary" in Latin.

4. Is it possible for i to have a real value?

No, i is an imaginary number and cannot have a real value. It is defined as the square root of -1, which has no real solution. However, when i is multiplied by a real number, it does result in a complex number with both a real and imaginary component.

5. Why is the concept of imaginary numbers important in mathematics?

Imaginary numbers play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and signal processing. They allow us to solve certain equations and problems that would otherwise be impossible to solve using only real numbers. They also have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.