Why is Gravity not a Violation of the Conservation of Energy?

In summary: I'm not very familiar with fields, so I'm not sure if that's accurate.I'm sorry, I am not very well-versed in the behavior of electrostatic fields or anything like that, but I do have a general knowledge, and I am just looking for a general answer that satisfies my question. If such an answer does not exist, I am currently learning physics, so I'm sure i'll get to the answer eventually.
Neolux
The law of Conservation of Energy states that in a closed system (the entire universe or the Earth and Moon?) the total amount of energy is conserved through time.

The gravitational interaction between the Moon and Earth creates tides. Humans can use these tides to create electrical energy. In the cosmos, stars full of energy are created by gravity pulling together clouds of matter and heating them.

My question is: In both of these instances, it seems to me like energy is being added to the system through gravity. Why is this not a violation of The Law of Conservation of Energy?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neolux said:
The law of Conservation of Energy states that in a closed system (the entire universe or the Earth and Moon?) the total amount of energy is conserved through time.

The gravitational interaction between the Moon and Earth creates tides. Humans can use these tides to create electrical energy. In the cosmos, stars full of energy are created by gravity pulling together clouds of matter and heating them.

My question is: In both of these instances, it seems to me like energy is being added to the system through gravity. Why is this not a violation of The Law of Conservation of Energy?

Thanks.

Background check: are you OK with the electrostatic field not violating law of conservation of energy, i.e you understand why it doesn't? I'm trying to understand why you pick gravity in particular, when, say, the electrostatic field shares almost the same physics/mathematics.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Background check: are you OK with the electrostatic field not violating law of conservation of energy, i.e you understand why it doesn't? I'm trying to understand why you pick gravity in particular, when, say, the electrostatic field shares almost the same physics/mathematics.

Zz.

I'm sorry, I am not very well-versed in the behavior of electrostatic fields or anything like that, but I do have a general knowledge, and I am just looking for a general answer that satisfies my question.

If such an answer does not exist, I am currently learning physics, so I'm sure i'll get to the answer eventually.

Neolux said:
In both of these instances, it seems to me like energy is being added to the system through gravity. Why is this not a violation of The Law of Conservation of Energy?
Have you done even the most basic research, like looking up on Wikipedia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_power
Movement of tides causes a loss of mechanical energy in the Earth–Moon system: this is a result of pumping of water through natural restrictions around coastlines and consequent viscous dissipation at the seabed and in turbulence. This loss of energy has caused the rotation of the Earth to slow in the 4.5 billion years since its formation. During the last 620 million years the period of rotation of the Earth (length of a day) has increased from 21.9 hours to 24 hours

Neolux said:
I'm sorry, I am not very well-versed in the behavior of electrostatic fields or anything like that, but I do have a general knowledge, and I am just looking for a general answer that satisfies my question.

If such an answer does not exist, I am currently learning physics, so I'm sure i'll get to the answer eventually.

The one aspect of physics that you should be aware of is that there are many things that look seemingly different, but are actually the same, or have the same type of physical description.

What your question is about is the nature of ALL types of "fields", i.e. I've boiled it down to the most fundamental, most general principle. All types of fields have the ability to "do work", to put it naively. Gravitational field is just one example.

So if you can understand the nature of, say, the classical field, for example, and why it doing work isn't really a violation of the conservation of energy, then you've understood a more general form, rather than just a specific example of gravity.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The one aspect of physics that you should be aware of is that there are many things that look seemingly different, but are actually the same, or have the same type of physical description.

What your question is about is the nature of ALL types of "fields", i.e. I've boiled it down to the most fundamental, most general principle. All types of fields have the ability to "do work", to put it naively. Gravitational field is just one example.

So if you can understand the nature of, say, the classical field, for example, and why it doing work isn't really a violation of the conservation of energy, then you've understood a more general form, rather than just a specific example of gravity.

Zz.

Does this mean that if a system involves a field, it can just gain energy infinitely, if the field has the ability to "do work"?

Neolux said:
Does this mean that if a system involves a field, it can just gain energy infinitely, if the field has the ability to "do work"?

I don't know what you mean by "gain energy infinitely". The energy in the field isn't really "infinite". It is also often not constant either over time, or over distance (remember the 1/r^2 dependence?). Besides, look at our world. Where do you see an object that has an infinite amount of energy?

Zz.

Neolux said:

Thanks.

Because you're forgetting about gravitational potential energy aren't you?

Simple example: Drop an object. It accelerates gaining Kinetic energy. Does that violate conservation of energy? Only if you forget to include gravitational potential energy.

Neolux said:
Humans can use these tides to create electrical energy. In the cosmos, stars full of energy are created by gravity pulling together clouds of matter and heating them.

In the first case the kinetic energy of the Earth and moon are being reduced. In the second case the gravitational potential energy of the clouds of matter are being reduced. In both cases one form of energy increases as another form decreases. Energy is therefore conserved.

I understand you,
your question is "will the gravity of any object will not end ever" or "It is the source of infinite energy" i think so
Answer is "It is not infinite, it will end"
eg. An ancient sword (10000 or very old) turns into dust.

Varun Bhardwaj said:
I understand you,
your question is "will the gravity of any object will not end ever" or "It is the source of infinite energy" i think so

You either have significant issues communicating your point or you do not understand physics at a rigorous and serious level.
A physical field (Electromagnetic or gravitational) is an entity which exists everywhere in space and can carry physical quantities such as energy, momentum and angular momentum (depending on the specific field).
Particles interact with each other through the fields, through this we can define various conservation laws between the fields and the particles.
However, Newtonian gravity is an incomplete field theory, in the sense that the field has no time evolution of it's own and simply reacts to the particles.

Electromagnetic fields however do not suffer from this problem and represent the shinning example of a complete dynamical system, one that accounts for both the "motions" of the particles and the fields.

Edit: Did not realize Varun Bhardwaj is not the OP

Last edited:
Varun Bhardwaj said:
I understand you,
You seem to believe that these two questions are opposite. They are not. A gravitational field may have a finite amount of energy and still not ever end.

Varun Bhardwaj said:
The dust still has the same mass and therefore the same gravity as the sword.

Related to Why is Gravity not a Violation of the Conservation of Energy?

1. How does gravity not violate the conservation of energy?

Gravity is not a violation of the conservation of energy because it is a conservative force. This means that the work done by gravity on an object is independent of the path the object takes. Therefore, the total energy of the object (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant and there is no net loss or gain of energy.

2. Why does gravity not result in an infinite amount of energy?

Gravity does not result in an infinite amount of energy because the force of gravity decreases with distance. As objects move further apart, the force of gravity decreases and eventually becomes negligible. This means that the potential energy of the system reaches a maximum value and does not continue to increase infinitely.

3. How do we know that gravity follows the law of conservation of energy?

We know that gravity follows the law of conservation of energy because it has been extensively studied and tested. Scientists have observed and measured the energy of objects in a gravitational field, and have found that the total energy of the system remains constant. This is consistent with the law of conservation of energy.

4. Does the conservation of energy apply to all forms of gravity?

Yes, the conservation of energy applies to all forms of gravity. Whether it is the gravity between two objects on Earth or the gravitational pull of a massive black hole, the law of conservation of energy still holds true. This is because the force of gravity is always a conservative force and does not violate the conservation of energy.

5. Can gravity be used as a source of energy?

Gravity can be used as a source of energy in certain situations, such as in hydroelectric power plants. However, this does not violate the conservation of energy because the potential energy of the water is converted into kinetic energy to generate electricity. The total energy of the system remains constant and there is no net loss or gain of energy.