Why is Fe3+ unable to carry oxygen in methemoglobinanemia?

In summary, methemoglobinanemia is a condition in which the iron atom in the heme group of hemoglobin is oxidized to the +3 state, rendering it unable to carry oxygen. This is because the much stronger lewis acid in the +3 state cannot reversibly bond with oxygen, and all eight positions of the octahedral complex are blocked. It is likely that the oxygen carried by the normal Fe+2 heme group reacts with oxygen to form the Fe+3 oxidized species.
gravenewworld
Methemoglobinanemia is when the iron atom in the heme group of hemoglobin is oxidized to the +3 state. In this oxidation state, the heme group is unable to carry oxygen. Why is this? A ton of the sources I have come across explain the condition of methemoglobinanemia and simply say that the ferric ion can't carry O2, but don't explain why the ferric ion can not carry O2. I want to understand this on a molecular level. I already have an understanding of how the iron binds to O2 in the +2 oxidation state from the papers that Pauling has written. Can anyone please explain why O2 can not bind to the heme group when the iron atom is oxidized to the +3 state?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea, but I suppose you should look at the changes in electronic configuration of Fe - whatever is able to keep the oxygen, disappears when iron is oxidized.

--

It is likely that the much stronger lewis acid cannot reversibly bond to O2 but rather, reacts with it. All 8 positions of the octahedral complex are blocked. It is likely that the oxygen carried by the Fe+2 normal heme group reacts with oxygen to form the Fe+3 oxidized species.

Related to Why is Fe3+ unable to carry oxygen in methemoglobinanemia?

What is the chemical formula for Fe3+ and oxygen bonding?

The chemical formula for Fe3+ and oxygen bonding is Fe2O3.

How many oxygen atoms are needed to bond with one Fe3+ ion?

One Fe3+ ion requires three oxygen atoms to form a stable bond.

What type of bond is formed between Fe3+ and oxygen?

The bond formed between Fe3+ and oxygen is an ionic bond, where the Fe3+ ion donates three electrons to the oxygen atoms, creating a strong electrostatic attraction between the two.

What properties does Fe3+ and oxygen bonding give to compounds?

Fe3+ and oxygen bonding gives compounds high melting and boiling points, as well as good thermal and electrical conductivity.

What are some common compounds formed from Fe3+ and oxygen bonding?

Some common compounds formed from Fe3+ and oxygen bonding include iron oxide (Fe2O3), also known as rust, and various iron oxide minerals such as hematite and magnetite.