Explain chemical formulas PO43-

In summary, PO43- is a polyatomic ion with a charge of -3. The 4 represents the number of oxygen atoms bonded to the phosphate, while the 3 and its - sign indicate the number of extra electrons in the ion. The dots in the Lewis structure represent single electrons, the bars represent pairs of shared electrons, and the double bars represent two pairs of shared electrons. The formal charge equation can be used to determine the oxidation state of each element in the ion, with the three single bonded oxygens having a formal charge of -1 and the double bonded oxygen and phosphorus having a formal charge of 0. The net charge of the ion is -3, with the three single bonded oxygens contributing to this
Robotesco
PO43-

I Understand the 4 represents how many oxygen atoms are bonded to the Phosphate. What exactly does the 3 and its - sign represent? By the image, I can tell the difference between the 3 oxygen atoms and the single isolated one, with the double || symbol, has a different electronic composition. Explain why the single | symbol is used and why the isolated O atom uses two ||s. Please also describe the difference between the two electronic compositions. Why does it show 3 pairs of dots on the O33-s and a double pair on the single O2-

hqdefault.jpg

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The superscript indicates the magnitude and charge of ionic species, monatomic or polyatomic.

Have you heard of Lewis structures?

P has 5 elecrons in outer shell, O has 6 electrons in outer shell. So P + 4O has 5 + 24 = 29 electrons in outer shells
Dots represent single electrons.
Bar is a pair of electrons shared
Double bar is 2 pairs of electrons shared

Total electrons in diagram = 22 dots + 3 bars + 1 double bar = 22 + 6 + 4 = 32 electrons
So the ion has 32-29=3 more electrons than the neutral atoms. This is a charge of -3

As far as I understand it (not very far!) the 3 O each have one extra electron and share an electron with P. Each bar is the sharing of 2 electrons.
The last O has no extra electons, but shares two from the P.
Why the P still sees this as only 2 electrons, I don't know, maybe some sort of dative bond? ( I don't really understand hybrid orbitals & all that qed stuff.)
Phosphorus is funny stuff and appears to exhibit various valencies and bonding combinations. You'll just have to wait for Borek or some other expert to help with that. (Or read about it. There are some pretty detailed explanations I've found, but way over my old head.)

Have you ever used 'Formal Charge' equation to define the oxidation state of an element in a compound? For PO43-, let the single bonded oxygens be Oxy(1), Oxy(2), Oxy(3) and the double bonded Oxy(4). For Oxys (1 - 3), each has a -1 formal charge... The formal charge equation is FC = V - (B/2) - N; V = valence of element, B = number of bonded electrons, N = number of non-bonded electrons. (Note: B for - O is 2e-, B for = O is 4e- ; N for - O (3 non-bonded pair = 6 electrons) and O (2 non-bonded pair = 4 electrons).

For PO43-
Single bonded Oxys ( 1 - 3 ) FC (on each) = V - B/2 - N = 6 - 2/2 - 6 = -1
Double bonded Oxy ( #4 ) FC = V - B/2 - N = 6 - 4/2 - 6 = 0
Phosphorous FC = V - B/2 - N = 5 - (10/2) - 0 = 0
The only elements of the structure carrying a formal charge are the three single bonded oxygens; so ∑ ( - O ) = 3( -1) = -3. Phosphorous and Oxy (4) with double bond FC = 0. => [ (-1) for Oxy#1 ] + [ (-1) for Oxy#2 ] + [ (-1) for Oxy#3 ] + [ (0) for Oxy#4 ] + [ (0) for Phosphorous ] = Net charge for polyion phosphate = -3

Related to Explain chemical formulas PO43-

What is a chemical formula?

A chemical formula is a representation of a chemical compound using symbols and subscripts to indicate the types and number of atoms present in the compound.

What does PO43- represent in a chemical formula?

PO43- is the chemical formula for phosphate ion, which is a polyatomic anion made up of one phosphorus atom and four oxygen atoms.

How do you read a chemical formula?

A chemical formula is read by first identifying the symbols for each element present, followed by the subscripts that indicate how many of each element are present in the compound.

How do you write a chemical formula for a compound?

To write a chemical formula for a compound, you must first determine the elements present and their respective subscripts. Then, use the criss-cross method to balance the charges of the ions and write the formula with the cation first and the anion second.

What is the importance of chemical formulas in science?

Chemical formulas are important in science because they provide a standardized and concise way of representing chemical compounds. They also allow for easy communication and understanding between scientists and help predict the properties and behavior of substances.