Why is EMF generated by changing magnetic flux?

In summary: it's a bit more complicated than this, but the gist is that scientists should never claim to know why something is the way it is.
Zahid Iftikhar
I am fixed to find out the reason what makes the charges get separated in conductor causing an emf leading to induced current. A very good reason exists for motional emf. It can be explained with the help of F=qvBsinΘ.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,
... what have you discovered so far?

Likes berkeman
Thank you Simon---- nothing found so far----- I got a clue from Physics Forum that as changing magnetic fields produce changing electric fields no matter there is any conductor nearby or not---- So if a conductor is placed in a variable magnetic field, the electric field produced by this changing magnetic field will force separation of charges in the conductor causing induced emf----- This idea seems convincing but I need more authentic comments of more experienced fellows of PF------
By the way I am impressed and inwardly very happy that I have found a place where I ll be able to ask and share my queries. Thank you once again.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Zahid Iftikhar said:
Thank you Simon---- nothing found so far----- I got a clue from Physics Forum that as changing magnetic fields produce changing electric fields no matter there is any conductor nearby or not---- So if a conductor is placed in a variable magnetic field, the electric field produced by this changing magnetic field will force separation of charges in the conductor causing induced emf----- This idea seems convincing but I need more authentic comments of more experienced fellows of PF------
By the way I am impressed and inwardly very happy that I have found a place where I ll be able to ask and share my queries. Thank you once again.
That's a fair description, but whomever asked will likely want numbers. You might research Maxwell's equations.

Still, these equations describe what is happening, not why. These equations were found through observation. (Science is all about observation.) They are axiomatic and not usually explained.

I've never heard or read of an explanation about why the electromagnetic field inter-relates the way it does. It might have something to do with quantum probabilities. Perhaps someone on the quantum forum has a clue?

But remember science is about what is happening, measured through observation. We leave why to the philosophers and religious leaders.

Ahhh.. listen to the master - if you wish jump to 4:57 - YouTube -

Edit - the Link is to Prof Lewin lecture on this issue at MIT courseware... not a trivial / stupid you tube video. If you are asking this topic you should watch this lecture.

Last edited:
I opened a thread on the quantum forum and got two reasons.

Both are for advanced students. One is from a quantum perspective and one is more relativistic.

Thanks to DEvens and jtbell.

I am always awed at how well the standard model fits together.

Actually, it is more appropriate to ask on the relativity forum.

This isn't the answer, but gets you started.

Also, Feynman explains a lot in this lecture: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_13.html Section 13.6

I had a thread discussing this a while back:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-a-magnetic-field-fun-mental-exercise.812728/

Electric and magnetic fields are different views of electromagnetic fields. Maxwell's equations don't deal with the relativistic issues because of their initial conditions

Likes cnh1995
Thank you Windadct, Jeff Rosenburry and meBigGuy for putting me on a track---- I am studying these articles and will listen to Professor Lewin--- my all time favorite teacher--- I ll come back with something appropriate to share on this forum--- Regards

Jeff Rosenbury said:
That's a fair description, but whomever asked will likely want numbers. You might research Maxwell's equations.

Still, these equations describe what is happening, not why. These equations were found through observation. (Science is all about observation.) They are axiomatic and not usually explained.

I've never heard or read of an explanation about why the electromagnetic field inter-relates the way it does. It might have something to do with quantum probabilities. Perhaps someone on the quantum forum has a clue?

But remember science is about what is happening, measured through observation. We leave why to the philosophers and religious leaders.
Dear Jeff --- agreed-- in most cases have no answers or explanations of natural phenomena and take them as axiomatic--- but luckily there are still a lot left where reasonable justifications can be given---- As physics teachers we are supposed to give justifications and explanations to our students for such happenings----

Side issues...
Zahid Iftikhar said:
I need more authentic comments of more experienced fellows of PF
Scientists rely on Science, not authority... the most experienced of people can still be wrong.

Zahid Iftikhar said:
As physics teachers we are supposed to give justifications and explanations to our students for such happenings
Surely physics teachers should give lessons about physics.
Nature may need explaining, but never justification... we leave the "why" stuff to philosophers or we do our students an injustice. A scientific explanation is a description of how different phenomena may be related.
You may want to look at some "philosophy of science" courses.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Simon Bridge said:
Nature may need explaining, but never justification... we leave the "why" stuff to philosophers or we do our students an injustice. A scientific explanation [sic] is a description of how different phenomena may be related.

From your mouth to God's ears -- as it were. :oldwink:

Related to Why is EMF generated by changing magnetic flux?

1. Why is EMF generated by changing magnetic flux?

EMF (electromotive force) is generated by a changing magnetic flux because of Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. According to this law, any change in magnetic flux through a conductor will induce an electric current in that conductor. This is because the change in magnetic flux creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric field and ultimately an electric current.

2. What is magnetic flux and how does it relate to EMF?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area it passes through, and is measured in units of webers (Wb). The change in magnetic flux is directly related to the generation of EMF, as stated by Faraday's law.

3. Can EMF be generated without changing magnetic flux?

No, EMF cannot be generated without a change in magnetic flux. According to Faraday's law, there must be a changing magnetic field in order to induce an electric field and generate an electric current. Without this change in magnetic flux, there would be no EMF generated.

4. How does the speed of change in magnetic flux affect the generated EMF?

The faster the change in magnetic flux, the greater the induced EMF. This is because a faster change in magnetic flux means a larger change in the magnetic field, resulting in a larger induced electric field and greater EMF. This relationship is described by Faraday's law and is known as the law of induction.

5. Are there any practical applications of the relationship between changing magnetic flux and EMF?

Yes, there are many practical applications of this relationship. One example is the use of generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. By rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the coil changes, generating an EMF and producing electricity. This is the basis for many power plants and electric motors. Another application is in transformers, which use a varying magnetic field to induce an EMF and transfer energy between circuits.