Why is differential neutron flux commonly used in nuclear reactors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the neutron flux spectra of a nuclear reactor and the difference between differential flux and flux. It is mentioned that differential flux is commonly used and allows for comparison even with different sampling. There is also a mention of integral neutron flux and a request for assistance in obtaining it.
oksuz_
Hi,

Below are the neutron flux spectra of a nuclear reactor. In the first spectrum, y-axis is differential flux and in the second spectrum, y-axis is flux (created by multiplying differential flux by energy in MeV). As far as I have seen so far, differential flux is used commonly. I am just wondering that why it is like that. Is there an advantage for using differential flux instead of just flux?

dif_flux of BP#1.png
flux of BP#1.png

Thank you.

Attachments

• dif_flux of BP#1.png
    dif_flux of BP#1.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 931
  • flux of BP#1.png
    flux of BP#1.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,317
Engineering news on Phys.org
Off hand, I would say it depends on what information you are looking for.

Hi
It permits to compare the spectra even if the sampling (delta E) is different
PSR

Hello, I have seen also in some papers Integral neutron flux. I am trying to obtain it just as unfolding codes as SANDP or STAYS´L do. If somebody knows how to do that calculations I will appreciate it. The behavior in the integral neutron flux is also different from those shown previously. Thank you very much

Related to Why is differential neutron flux commonly used in nuclear reactors?

What is differential neutron flux?

Differential neutron flux is a measure of the number of neutrons passing through a unit area in a specific direction per unit time.

Why is differential neutron flux important in scientific research?

Differential neutron flux is important because it provides valuable information about the behavior and interactions of neutrons, which are crucial in many scientific fields such as nuclear physics, materials science, and astrophysics.

How is differential neutron flux measured?

Differential neutron flux is typically measured using detectors such as scintillators, ionization chambers, or bubble detectors, which are placed in the path of the neutron beam.

What factors can affect differential neutron flux?

The differential neutron flux can be affected by various factors such as the energy of the neutrons, the material they are passing through, and the geometry of the experiment setup.

What are some applications of differential neutron flux?

Differential neutron flux has many applications, including neutron imaging, neutron activation analysis, and neutron scattering experiments, which are used in fields such as materials characterization, biological research, and environmental studies.