Why Is a Milk Carton Considered a Nonconvex Polyhedron?

In summary, a milk carton can be considered a nonconvex polyhedron because of the spout at the top that creates a concave section. It is not possible to have a polyhedron with 7 edges because every face must be a convex polygon. In order to create a sorted list of all edges incident to a given vertex using a winged edge data structure, one would need to start from the vertex and follow the edges around it, sorting them as they are encountered. Euler's formula states that for a simply connected polyhedron, the number of faces minus the number of edges plus the number of vertices equals 2, and this formula can be used to determine the number of faces, edges, or vertices if
JasonJo
Why is a Milk Carton an example of a nonconvex polyhedron such that the sum of the face angles around each vertex is no more than 360 degrees.
- I don't know how a milk carton qualifies as a nonconvex polyhedron. isn't every face a convex polygon?

Is it possible to have a polyhedron with 7 edges? Why or why not?
- I suspect it's not possible, but I can't 100% justify why not. I tried arguing that it's impossible to have a polyhedron with 7 edges because every face must be a polygon, but i don't know how to finish that statement.

Given a vertice v and a winged edge data structure, describe how to create a sorted list of all edges incident to v.
- ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, every face is a convex polygon- that's not relevant to the carton itself being a non-convex polyhedron. Look at the top, where you open it to form a spout- that parts goes into the polyhedron so it is not convex.

Do you know Euler's formula? For a simply connected (no holes through it) polyhedron, the number of faces, minus the number of edges, plus the number of vertices = 2. The simplest polyhedron, a tetrahedron, has 4 faces, 6 edges, 4 vertices: 4- 6+ 4= 2. If you add one more edge, for Euler's formula to stay true, you would have to add either a vertex or a face but not both! Can you do that?

Related to Why Is a Milk Carton Considered a Nonconvex Polyhedron?

What is computational geometry?

Computational geometry is a branch of computer science that focuses on the development of algorithms and data structures to solve geometric problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points or calculating the area of a shape.

What are some common applications of computational geometry?

Some common applications of computational geometry include computer graphics, robotics, geographic information systems, and computer-aided design. It is also used in fields such as biology and physics to model and analyze complex shapes and structures.

What skills are required to excel in computational geometry?

To excel in computational geometry, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in geometry, trigonometry, and linear algebra. Proficiency in programming languages such as C++, Java, and Python is also essential.

What are some challenges in computational geometry?

One of the main challenges in computational geometry is dealing with large datasets and finding efficient algorithms to process them. Another challenge is balancing precision and efficiency, as some problems require highly accurate calculations that may be computationally expensive.

How can I get started with computational geometry?

To get started with computational geometry, you can take courses in computer science, mathematics, or engineering that cover topics in algorithms and data structures. There are also many online resources, books, and tutorials available to help you learn the basics of computational geometry.