Why Is a Given State an Eigenstate of Field Operators in Quantum Field Theory?

In summary: Because that's how we're defining the state |\phi_1\rangle. We're trying to pick out the state in the Hilbert space that, when you hit it with the field operator at any position x, will give you an eigenvalue equal to the c-number \phi(x).
chientewu
Hi,

I am studying Peskin's An Introduction To Quantum Field Theory. On the beginning of page 284, the authors say We can turn the field [itex]\phi_S(x_1)|\phi_1\rangle=\phi_1(x_1)|\phi_1\rangle[/itex]. I tried hard to prove this relation but still can't get it right. Could anyone give me some hints? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit strangely formulated. The generalized kets [itex]|\varphi \rangle[/itex] are defined as generalized eigenstates of the field operators (here in the Schrödinger picture of time evolution), i.e.,
[tex]\hat{\phi}_S(\vec{x}_1) |\varphi \rangle = \varphi(x) |\varphi \rangle.[/tex]
Note that [itex]\hat{\phi}_S[/itex] is a field operator in the Schrödinger picture while [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a (complex or real-valued, depending on whether you describe charged or strictly neutral scalar bosons) c-number field.

Last edited:
Likes Holophagus
vanhees71 said:
Note that [tex]\hat{\phi}_S[/itex] is a field operator in the Schrödinger picture while [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a (complex or real-valued, depending on whether you describe charged or strictly neutral scalar bosons) c-number field.
This is difficult to read. Please format your LaTeX correctly, or use UTF. :wink:

Bill_K said:
This is difficult to read. Please format your LaTeX correctly, or use UTF. :wink:

Done (butt no UTF, which is hard to read either ;-)).

vanhees71 said:
It's a bit strangely formulated. The generalized kets [itex]|\varphi \rangle[/itex] are defined as generalized eigenstates of the field operators (here in the Schrödinger picture of time evolution), i.e.,
[tex]\hat{\phi}_S(\vec{x}_1) |\varphi \rangle = \varphi(x) |\varphi \rangle.[/tex]
Note that [itex]\hat{\phi}_S[/itex] is a field operator in the Schrödinger picture while [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a (complex or real-valued, depending on whether you describe charged or strictly neutral scalar bosons) c-number field.

Thanks! That makes sense but I still don't understand why this given state is an eigenstate of field operators with eigenvalue being the field amplitudes at some specific position.

chientewu said:
Thanks! That makes sense but I still don't understand why this given state is an eigenstate of field operators with eigenvalue being the field amplitudes at some specific position.

Because that's how we're defining the state [itex]|\phi_1\rangle[/itex]. We're trying to pick out the state in the Hilbert space that, when you hit it with the field operator at any position [itex]x[/itex], will give you an eigenvalue equal to the c-number [itex]\phi(x)[/itex]. It's a way of going from states in a Hilbert space to simple c-number functions, so that you can perform the functional integral over them.

Last edited:
Likes Holophagus

Related to Why Is a Given State an Eigenstate of Field Operators in Quantum Field Theory?

What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and special relativity to provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

What is the problem with Quantum Field Theory?

One of the biggest problems with Quantum Field Theory is that it is not yet reconciled with general relativity, the theory of gravity. This creates difficulties in understanding the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as near black holes.

What is the significance of solving problems in Quantum Field Theory?

Solving problems in Quantum Field Theory can lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental workings of the universe, as well as potential technological advancements. It can also help bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity, leading to a more complete theory of physics.

What are some common approaches to solving Quantum Field Theory problems?

Some common approaches to solving Quantum Field Theory problems include using mathematical tools such as Feynman diagrams, perturbation theory, and renormalization techniques. Collaborative efforts and computer simulations are also often utilized.

What are some potential real-world applications of Quantum Field Theory?

While still a theoretical framework, Quantum Field Theory has led to important discoveries and advancements in areas such as quantum computing, high-energy particle accelerators, and nanotechnology. It also has the potential to unlock new technologies and understandings in the future.