Why don't we have gamma ray microscopes?

In summary: Basically, the reddit user explained that gamma ray microscopy is not possible at the moment because the mirrors used are not strong enough to capture the gamma rays.
curiousmind04

Homework Statement

Why? We can use shorter wavelengths than that of electrons to view electrons and more? What is stopping us? Can the image not be imprinted on a plate of some sort instead of being viewed by the eye directly?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing no one invented a method to use these high energy photons yet

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this an actual homework question or does it arise strictly out of curiosity?

The question was saying that electron microscopes are better than light microscopes because of shorter wavelength used. optical microscopes use light in the visible range. But, why can't we use gamma rays and not view it directly with the eye. So I would say my homework influenced my curiosity

curiousmind04 said:
The question was saying that electron microscopes are better than light microscopes because of shorter wavelength used. optical microscopes use light in the visible range. But, why can't we use gamma rays and not view it directly with the eye. So I would say my homework influenced my curiosity
Okay. I'd suggest that you do a little research (web search) on a related topic, namely that of gamma ray astronomy, and in particular, gamma ray telescopes. Pay attention to the detector technology employed and the resolution achievable. Also search on "gamma ray focusing".

gneill said:
Okay. I'd suggest that you do a little research (web search) on a related topic, namely that of gamma ray astronomy, and in particular, gamma ray telescopes. Pay attention to the detector technology employed and the resolution achievable. Also search on "gamma ray focusing".
Ok thanks, you don't know? I'm lazy

curiousmind04 said:
Ok thanks, you don't know? I'm lazy
I do know, having done the reading in the past, but I'm also lazy. Now it's your turn :smile:

Likes mfb
Can you sum it up in one short sentence please? It doesn't have to explain everything, just the general reason why its not achievable...yet

gneill said:
I do know, having done the reading in the past, but I'm also lazy. Now it's your turn :smile:
:)

curiousmind04 said:
Can you sum it up in one short sentence please? It doesn't have to explain everything, just the general reason why its not achievable...yet
That would be doing your research for you. I will say that the reasons why gamma ray astronomy is so difficult will be essentially the same as for microscopy. Your time won't be wasted spending five minutes with a search engine; the reasons are made apparent quickly.

gneill said:
That would be doing your research for you. I will say that the reasons why gamma ray astronomy is so difficult will be essentially the same as for microscopy. Your time won't be wasted spending five minutes with a search engine; the reasons are made apparent quickly.
Ok thanks again, I will get around to it. From your experience, do you think it is possible though?

gneill said:
Someone on reddit told me it is impossible to focus gamma rays

curiousmind04 said:
Ok thanks again, I will get around to it. From your experience, do you think it is possible though?
I think it is possible but it will be some time before the resolution is anywhere near to what can be achieved by other techniques. I also think that what can be observed by the method will be very limited indeed. Gamma rays are not easily stopped, shadowed, focused, or particularly "friendly" to what they pass through (I don't think gamma ray reflection microscopy is in the cards for anything but certain metals or perhaps crystals).

curiousmind04 said:
Someone on reddit told me it is impossible to focus gamma rays
Everything on the internet is suspect (maybe especially me :smile:) Look for yourself at where I've directed you. You will find working gamma ray telescopes and focusing technologies discussed.

gneill said:
I think it is possible but it will be some time before the resolution is anywhere near to what can be achieved by other techniques. I also think that what can be observed by the method will be very limited indeed. Gamma rays are not easily stopped, shadowed, focused, or particularly "friendly" to what they pass through (I don't think gamma ray reflection microscopy is in the cards for anything but certain metals or perhaps crystals).Everything on the internet is suspect (maybe especially me :smile:) Look for yourself at where I've directed you. You will find working gamma ray telescopes and focusing technologies discussed.
Awesome, apparently we do not have mirrors sufficient enough for gamma ray microscopy (explanation from random redditor)

curiousmind04 said:
Sorry, but this is not how we do things here. We will gladly help you learn, but we will not do your work for you. Please have a look at the forum rules, especially those related to homework.

Also, you have another thread basically discussing the same thing. I will close this one.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electron-vs-photon-question-significance-of-momentum.890315/

Likes SammyS

Related to Why don't we have gamma ray microscopes?

1. Why don't we have gamma ray microscopes?

Gamma ray microscopes are not currently available because gamma rays are highly energetic electromagnetic waves that are difficult to manipulate and detect. The technology required to create and control gamma rays is extremely complex and expensive, making it challenging to develop a practical and cost-effective gamma ray microscope.

2. Can't we just adapt existing microscopes to use gamma rays?

No, adapting existing microscopes to use gamma rays is not feasible. Gamma rays have a much shorter wavelength than visible light, which means they require specialized equipment and techniques for manipulation and detection. The lenses and detectors used in traditional microscopes are not suitable for gamma rays.

3. Are there any potential risks associated with using gamma ray microscopes?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with using gamma ray microscopes. Gamma rays are highly energetic and can be harmful to living organisms, making it necessary to take strict safety precautions when working with them. In addition, the use of high-powered radiation can also damage the sample being observed.

4. Will gamma ray microscopes ever be available for widespread use?

It is difficult to predict when or if gamma ray microscopes will be available for widespread use. While advancements in technology and research may eventually make it possible, there are currently significant technical and practical challenges that must be overcome before gamma ray microscopes can be widely used.

5. What are some potential applications of gamma ray microscopes?

Gamma ray microscopes could have many potential applications in fields such as materials science, biology, and medicine. They could allow scientists to study the atomic and molecular structures of materials, observe biological processes at a molecular level, and potentially aid in the early detection and treatment of diseases such as cancer.