Why does velocity not vary with distance within 10 Mpc?

• Thread starter em370
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the data in the graph appears to be off, most likely because of inaccuracies in the data.
em370
For a science project I used Harvard's zcat data to construct a graph in excel of the velocity and distance of distant objects. I expected velocity to increase with distance due to the expansion of space but it seemed to only begin once the object was 10 Mpc from Earth. I included the graph but it is very small due to file size restrictions.

Attachments

• Velocity graph.bmp
    294.7 KB · Views: 566
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, all galaxies have a relative motion through space relative to the Milky Way. In the field this is called a peculiar velocity. In particular, it's meant to be distinguished from the speed inferred from cosmological expansion. For objects close to home, the peculiar velocity may be similar in magnitude to the speed inferred from Hubble's law. Only once we get to cosmological distance scales does this stop being true (since most galaxies move at most at speeds of several hundred km/s in clusters).

While the response from Steely Dan is true, the actual data looks really weird.
- at the linear part, velocity is not proportional to distance
- in our universe there is nothing magic at 10 Mpc, the region at 11Mpc is similar to the region at 9Mpc. However, the graph shows two regions which are completely different.
- compared to the small deviations of most of the data points, there are a few points which are really off, up to 3-4% c (as deviation to the line).

Both responses are good ones above. Just wanted to add that there seems to be lots wrong with your plot---the velocities are also way too large. Remember Hubble's law:
[tex] v \approx H_0 d \approx 70 \textrm{ km/s} \left( \frac{d}{1 \textrm{ Mpc} } \right)[/tex]

I took all of the data from this website https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~dfabricant/huchra/zcat/ so I can't vouch for how the testing was done but harvard is a reputable university. I did notice that the line was shifted upwards quite a bit but I thought whatever may be forcing objects within 10 Mpc to not vary with distance may also be responsible for that. Also, the section of data outside 10 Mpc gives hubbles constant as about 72 km/s per Mpc which is fairly accurate along with a high initial velocity at 0 Mpc, which according to posters is not accurate. The velocity measurements are recorded as observed at Earth based on redshift. I feel like I must be missing something because the data come straight from the zcat and I doubt a distinguished college would publish something if the velocity data was off by a large amount.

Related to Why does velocity not vary with distance within 10 Mpc?

1. Why does velocity not vary with distance within 10 Mpc?

The velocity of objects within 10 Mpc (megaparsecs) does not vary because of the Hubble's law, which states that the farther away an object is from us, the faster it appears to be moving. This is due to the expansion of the universe. Within 10 Mpc, the distance is relatively small and the objects are not moving away from us at a significant rate, hence the velocity appears constant.

2. How does Hubble's law explain the constant velocity within 10 Mpc?

Hubble's law is based on the observation that galaxies are moving away from each other at a rate that is proportional to their distance. This means that the farther away a galaxy is, the faster it is moving. Within 10 Mpc, the distance between galaxies is not significant enough to cause a noticeable change in velocity, thus the velocity appears constant.

3. Are there any exceptions to the constant velocity within 10 Mpc?

There can be exceptions to the constant velocity within 10 Mpc, such as galaxies or objects that are influenced by other factors such as gravitational interactions with nearby objects. These exceptions are typically seen in galaxy clusters, where the gravitational pull of the cluster can affect the velocities of galaxies within it.

4. Is there a limit to the distance at which velocity remains constant?

The distance at which velocity remains constant depends on the scale of the universe and the expansion rate. Currently, the limit is estimated to be around 14 billion light years (4.3 gigaparsecs) due to the accelerated expansion of the universe. This is known as the Hubble volume, beyond which the velocity of objects will start to vary.

5. How does the constant velocity within 10 Mpc affect our understanding of the universe?

The constant velocity within 10 Mpc provides evidence for the overall expansion of the universe and helps us understand the large-scale structure of the universe. It also allows us to estimate the age of the universe and the rate of its expansion. Additionally, studying the velocities of objects within 10 Mpc can provide insight into the distribution of dark matter and the formation of galaxies.