Why Does the Unruh-Hawking Model Precisely Predict a Thermal Radiation Spectrum?

In summary, the author suggests that the connection between quantum mechanics and statistics may be responsible for the accurate thermal spectrum of radiation emitted by Hawking radiation.
exponent137
I have the following article for explanation of Hawking - Unruh radiation:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0401/0401170.pdf .
It is the most simple explanation of Hawking radiation until now.

Peoples try to find microscopic explanation of this, but, thermal properties of matter are not dependend of matter's precise micro-properties. And the model above gives macroscopically right properties.

So can anyone give explanation why formule above gives precisely thermal spectrum of radiation. Why at constant acceleration and not at some different example.

Thermal spectrum is very primary thing, so derivation above is still to long.

It is not question for me, which quantum gravity theory is OK, but why the semi-classical theory above gives precisely thermical spectrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I loved the paper.

About 30 seconds thought suggests to me that the connection here is an example of the (mysterious) connection between quantum mechanics and statistics. That is, adding one hidden dimension and going from Minkowski space to Euclidean space turns a QFT calculation into a statistical mechanics problem (from the point of view of the generator function, if I recall the correct term).

My guess is that there is a statistical mechanical basis for QFT hiding out there somewhere. Uh, I should mention that the above has been written without benefit of my copy of Peskin & Schroeder, and it's not a subject that I think about often.

Carl

That is an excellent paper.

Can you believe: I'm currently attending a community colledge, and my astronomy prof told us in the final week of class that Hawking radiation is basically the same thing as a Type-I supernova, only with a black hole in place of the dwarf star; the radiation released by the infall of material from the accretion disk! I said nothing; but I'm wondering if I should have.

LURCH, always remember that everything humans do should be analyzed from the point of view of social science ove physical science.

Yes, you did the right thing.

Carl

exponent137 said:
So can anyone give explanation why formule above gives precisely thermal spectrum of radiation. Why at constant acceleration and not at some different example.
A very interesting question. http://www.superstringtheory.com/blackh/blackh3a.html might help.

Related to Why Does the Unruh-Hawking Model Precisely Predict a Thermal Radiation Spectrum?

What is Unruh / Hawking radiation?

Unruh / Hawking radiation is a theoretical phenomenon in physics that describes the emission of particles from a black hole. It is named after the physicists who first proposed its existence, Stephen Hawking and Bill Unruh.

How does Unruh / Hawking radiation occur?

According to quantum field theory, virtual particles are constantly popping in and out of existence around the event horizon of a black hole. When these particles are created, they have a chance of escaping the black hole's gravitational pull and becoming real particles, which are then emitted as radiation.

Can Unruh / Hawking radiation be observed?

Currently, Unruh / Hawking radiation has not been directly observed. It is a theoretical concept that has not been confirmed by experimental evidence. However, there are ongoing efforts to detect this radiation indirectly through its effects on the surrounding environment.

Why is Unruh / Hawking radiation important?

Unruh / Hawking radiation is important because it provides a link between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It also has implications for the ultimate fate of black holes and the information paradox, which is a fundamental problem in physics regarding the preservation of information in black holes.

Can Unruh / Hawking radiation be used for practical applications?

At this time, Unruh / Hawking radiation is purely a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist. Therefore, it cannot be used for practical applications. However, the study of this phenomenon has contributed to our understanding of the universe and may have future technological implications.