Why Does the Polynomial Remainder Theorem Yield All Real Numbers for b?

In summary, when dividing 3x5 - ax + b by x - 1 and x + 1, the remainders are equal. The value of a is 0 and the set of values of b is all real numbers.
thornluke

Homework Statement

When 3x5 - ax + b is divided by x - 1 and x + 1 the remainders are equal. Given that a, b ε ℝ

(a) the value of a;
(b) the set of values of b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(1) = f(-1)
3 - a + b = -3 + a + b
6 = 2a
a = 3 ... [1]
Substitute a -3 into 3 - a + b
b = 0

Can someone please explain to me why the set of values of b would be all real numbers?
From my knowledge, I believe my way of understanding is unclear and may be incorrect.
My interpretation: b not being affected by any coefficients and that b is simply a constant in a function.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thornluke said:
f(1) = f(-1)
3 - a + b = -3 + a + b
b can have any value and it will satisfy this equality, since +b appears on both sides.

thornluke said:

Homework Statement

When 3x2 - ax + b is divided by x - 1 and x + 1 the remainders are equal. Given that a, b ε ℝ

(a) the value of a;
(b) the set of values of b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(1) = f(-1)
3 - a + b = -3 + a + b
This is wrong. [itex]f(1)= 3(1)^2- a(1)+ b[/itex] alright, but [itex]f(-1)= 3(-1)^2- a(-1)+ b= 3+ a+ b[/itex], not -3+ a+ b.

6 = 2a
a = 3 ... [1]
So this become a= 0.

Substitute a -3 into 3 - a + b
b = 0
This makes no sense. Substititute a= -3 (or a= 0) into what equation? You don't know what 3- a+ b is supposed to be equal to. You seem to be assuming it is 0 and you have no right to do that.

Can someone please explain to me why the set of values of b would be all real numbers?
From my knowledge, I believe my way of understanding is unclear and may be incorrect.
My interpretation: b not being affected by any coefficients and that b is simply a constant in a function.

Cheers.
The requirement that f(-1)= f(1) gives a= 0 but gives NO condition on b.
If [itex]f(x)= 3x^2+ b[/itex] then f(1)= 3+ b= f(-1). In fact, the condition that, for polynomial f, f(x)= f(-x) for all x, would tell us that there are no odd powers of x but would tell us nothing about the coefficients of the even powers of x.

I just realized a mistake in the thread. It should be 3x5 not 3x2
Sorry about that! :frown:

HallsofIvy said:
This is wrong. [itex]f(1)= 3(1)^2- a(1)+ b[/itex] alright, but [itex]f(-1)= 3(-1)^2- a(-1)+ b= 3+ a+ b[/itex], not -3+ a+ b.

So this become a= 0.

This makes no sense. Substititute a= -3 (or a= 0) into what equation? You don't know what 3- a+ b is supposed to be equal to. You seem to be assuming it is 0 and you have no right to do that.

The requirement that f(-1)= f(1) gives a= 0 but gives NO condition on b.
If [itex]f(x)= 3x^2+ b[/itex] then f(1)= 3+ b= f(-1). In fact, the condition that, for polynomial f, f(x)= f(-x) for all x, would tell us that there are no odd powers of x but would tell us nothing about the coefficients of the even powers of x.

Related to Why Does the Polynomial Remainder Theorem Yield All Real Numbers for b?

1. What are polynomials?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that consist of variables, coefficients, and exponents. They are made up of one or more terms, which are added or subtracted together. Examples of polynomials include 2x + 5, 3x^2 + 2x + 1, and 5x^3 - 4x^2 + x.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. It is determined by looking at the term with the highest exponent. For example, the polynomial 3x^2 + 2x has a degree of 2, while the polynomial 5x^3 - 4x^2 + x has a degree of 3.

3. How do you add and subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you must first group like terms together. Like terms have the same variable(s) raised to the same power(s). Once you have grouped like terms, you can simply add or subtract the coefficients while keeping the variables and exponents the same. For example, to add 3x^2 + 2x + 1 and 5x^2 - 4x + 3, you would group the like terms (3x^2 and 5x^2, 2x and -4x, and 1 and 3) and then add the coefficients to get 8x^2 - 2x + 4.

4. How do you multiply polynomials?

To multiply polynomials, you can use the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. This method involves multiplying the first terms of each polynomial, then the outer terms, the inner terms, and finally the last terms. You can also use the distributive property to multiply polynomials, where you distribute each term in one polynomial to every term in the other polynomial. For example, to multiply (x + 2)(x + 3), you would use the FOIL method and get x^2 + 5x + 6. Using the distributive property, you would get x^2 + 3x + 2x + 6, which simplifies to the same answer.

5. How do you solve polynomial equations?

To solve polynomial equations, you must first set the equation equal to 0, so that it is in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Then, you can use factoring, the quadratic formula, or completing the square to find the solutions. Factoring involves finding two numbers that multiply to give you the constant term (c) and add to give you the coefficient of the middle term (b). The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in the equation. Completing the square involves manipulating the equation to get it in the form of (x + a)^2 = b, where a and b are constants. Then, you can take the square root of both sides and solve for x.