A tricky remainder theorem problem

In summary, the equation for the polynomial Q(x)(x-1)(x+1) - x + 2 is (2-x).So the equation for the polynomial Q(x)(x-1)(x+1) - x + 2 is (2-x).
sooyong94

Homework Statement

A polynomial P(x) is divided by (x-1), and gives a remainder of 1. When P(x) is divided by (x+1), it gives a remainder of 3. Find the remainder when P(x) is divided by (x^2 - 1)

Homework Equations

Remainder theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that

P(x) = (x-1)A(x) + 1
and P(x) = (x+1)B(x) + 3

But how would I relate to (x^2 -1)? I can multiply the two equations together to get (x^2 -1) but things get pretty messy.

Physics news on Phys.org
From your two equations we know P(1) = 1 and P(-1) = 3 . Since the divisor in question ([itex]x^2 - 1[/itex]) the remainder has degree < divisor i.e it is linear. Let it be Kx + L. The we get an equation [tex] P(x) = (x^2 - 1)f(x) + Kx + L [/tex] . Try to proceed from here.

Likes SammyS
Why is the remainder is a linear expression? I can't catch your explanation.

sooyong94 said:
Why is the remainder is a linear expression? I can't catch your explanation.

The remainder in ##a(x)/b(x)## is a polynomial ##r(x)## of degree strictly less than the degree of ##b(x)##. Basically, that is the _definition_ of "remainder".

sooyong94 said:
explanation

So that means if a polynomial P(x) is divided by a quadratic polynomial, then the remainder is a linear expression.

sooyong94 said:
So that means if a polynomial P(x) is divided by a quadratic polynomial, then the remainder is a linear expression.

Go back and read post #2 again, then read your question in post #3.

So it has something to do with the divisor right?

To refresh the idea of the remainder theorem, take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial_remainder_theorem

In this case you have P(1) = 1 (since P(x)/(x-1) has remainder 1), P(-1) = 3 (since P(x)/(x+1) has remainder 3). Can you think of a minimum degree P(x) that produces these results?

A cubic polynomial?

sooyong94 said:
A cubic polynomial?
Ignore the fact that you will be looking for P(x) / (x^2-1). Can you think of a minimum degree polynomial P(x) such that P(-1) = 1 and P(1) = 3?

Degree 3?

sooyong94 said:
Degree 3?
Looking for a minimal degree for P(x). Start off with degree 1, is there a P(x) of degree 1 (ax + b) such that P(-1) = 1 and P(1) = 3? If not, try degree 2, and if not, try degree 3.

Yup it appears that degree one works as well...

sooyong94 said:
Yup it appears that degree one works as well...
So what is that equation for P(x) of degree 1 and what is the remainder of P(x) / (x^2-1) ?

ax+b, and I managed to solve it as (2-x).

To follow up, this would mean that a general equation for P(x) = Q(x)(x-1)(x+1) - x + 2, where Q(x) can be any function of x, including Q(x) = 0.

Related to A tricky remainder theorem problem

1. What is the remainder theorem?

The remainder theorem is a mathematical concept that states that when a polynomial function is divided by a linear function of the form x-a, the remainder will be equal to the value of the polynomial at x=a.

2. How do you solve a tricky remainder theorem problem?

To solve a tricky remainder theorem problem, you first need to identify the polynomial function and the linear function being divided. Then, plug in the value of x into the linear function and calculate the remainder using the remainder theorem. Finally, compare the remainder to the given value to determine if it satisfies the problem conditions.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving remainder theorem problems?

Some common mistakes when solving remainder theorem problems include forgetting to use the remainder theorem formula, using the wrong value for x in the linear function, and not checking if the remainder satisfies the problem conditions.

4. Can the remainder in a remainder theorem problem be negative?

Yes, the remainder in a remainder theorem problem can be negative. This can occur when the value of the polynomial at x=a is negative and the linear function results in a positive value for the remainder.

5. Are there any tips for solving tricky remainder theorem problems?

Yes, some tips for solving tricky remainder theorem problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, double-checking all calculations, and using a table or chart to organize information and make the problem more manageable.