Why does the member info sometimes show last seen, and sometimes not?

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
In summary, the member info sometimes shows "last seen" and sometimes not depending on the user's privacy settings. This can be controlled by the "Show your online status" and "Show your current activity" options on the Privacy page of the user's profile.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Why does the member info sometimes show "last seen," and sometimes not?
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the user's privacy settings. I think it's whether the 'Show your online status' checkbox on the Privacy page of their profile is ticked.

• Informative
Likes BillTre, dlgoff, berkeman and 1 other person
gmax137 said:
Why does the member info sometimes show "last seen," and sometimes not?
As Ibix has already stated, this is controlled by your privacy settings:

1626722157961.png

"Show your online status" will display when you were last seen. "Show your current activity" will also show what you are doing now, or what you were doing when you were last seen.

• Informative
Likes Ibix, BillTre, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Ibix said:
Depends on the user's privacy settings

Thanks! I am glad I obliterated the user names in my two examples. I chose them at random, to illustrate the question.

1. Why does the member info sometimes show last seen?

The member info shows last seen when the user has recently been active on the platform. This information is updated in real-time and is a reflection of the user's last login or activity on the platform.

2. Why does the member info sometimes not show last seen?

The member info does not show last seen when the user has not been active on the platform for a longer period of time. This could be due to various reasons such as the user has not logged in, their account is inactive, or they have not engaged with any content on the platform.

3. Can the last seen information be inaccurate?

Yes, the last seen information can be inaccurate if the user has not properly logged out of their account or if they are using a VPN or proxy server. In such cases, the platform may not be able to accurately track their last activity.

4. Is there a way to hide the last seen information?

Some platforms may offer the option for users to hide their last seen information for privacy reasons. However, this feature may not be available on all platforms and may vary depending on the platform's privacy settings.

5. Can the last seen information be used to track a user's location?

No, the last seen information does not reveal a user's location. It only indicates when the user was last active on the platform and does not provide any location-specific data.