Why does the IEEE recommend using ac and dc instead of AC and DC?

• Thread starter thegreenlaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary: I don't actually know why they would recommend using "ac" and "dc" over "AC" and "DC". It just seems like a senseless recommendation to me.In summary, the IEEE recommends using "ac" and "dc" for alternating/direct current, instead of "AC" and "DC." There is a convention that ac stuff is designated with lower case, and dc stuff with upper case, but this is not always followed. Additionally, I don't understand why the IEEE would recommend using "var" instead of "VAR" or "VAr."
thegreenlaser
I was a little surprised to find out that the IEEE recommends using "ac" and "dc" for alternating/direct current rather than "AC" and "DC." (Google "Recommended Unit Symbols, SI Prefixes, and Abbreviations - IEEE")

Apparently non-capitalized is the "correct" way but I've mostly seen them capitalized. Capitalized seems to make more sense since they're acronyms... Does anyone know why they're not supposed to be capitalized?

Also, my main question: are "ac" and "dc" really preferred in cases where I can choose either way? (I'm not submitting to IEEE) From my experience, most people seem to use the upper-case acronyms, and I suspect most people will be thrown off by the lower-case acronyms even if they're technically correct.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I agree w/ you that lower case will likely be off-putting to most people. Even laymen are used to seeing those terms and seeing them capitalized. I can't imagine why the IEEE would even SUGGEST using lower case, much less actually recommend it.

thegreenlaser said:
I was a little surprised to find out that the IEEE recommends using "ac" and "dc" for alternating/direct current rather than "AC" and "DC." (Google "Recommended Unit Symbols, SI Prefixes, and Abbreviations - IEEE")

Apparently non-capitalized is the "correct" way but I've mostly seen them capitalized. Capitalized seems to make more sense since they're acronyms... Does anyone know why they're not supposed to be capitalized?

Also, my main question: are "ac" and "dc" really preferred in cases where I can choose either way? (I'm not submitting to IEEE) From my experience, most people seem to use the upper-case acronyms, and I suspect most people will be thrown off by the lower-case acronyms even if they're technically correct.

I usually capitalize them when using them alone, to make them more obvious visually. When appending them to modify a quantity, I usually use lower case, like with Vdc, Vac, Vrms. Of course, I don't set the standards... :smile:

berkeman said:
I usually capitalize them when using them alone, to make them more obvious visually. When appending them to modify a quantity, I usually use lower case, like with Vdc, Vac, Vrms. Of course, I don't set the standards... :smile:

I agree w/ that but as attachments (subsidiarly elements) in a term, that's a different story than when they are stand-alone.

There's a sort of convention that ac stuff is designated with lower case, dc stuff with upper case, like: 208v 3-phase power; 12V car battery. I don't think it's exactly cast in concrete or anything. And the IEEE can recommend anything they want, it doesn't necessarily mean everyone will abide by it.

tfr000 said:
There's a sort of convention that ac stuff is designated with lower case, dc stuff with upper case, like: 208v 3-phase power; 12V car battery. I don't think it's exactly cast in concrete or anything. And the IEEE can recommend anything they want, it doesn't necessarily mean everyone will abide by it.

I've seen that convention used for variables, (e.g. i(t) and v(t) for time-varying current and voltage versus I and V for constant current and voltage) but I've never seen it used for units...

I know I'm not bound by IEEE recommendations, but I'm confused as to why they would so specifically go against the obvious choice (capitalization) if there's no good reason for it. Even their document says that "ac" and "dc" are an exception compared to other acronyms, but they don't explain why. If there is indeed a good reason then I'd probably prefer to follow the convention, but I can't seem to find what that reason is.

Also, I noticed that they recommend "var" for reactive power rather than "VAR" or "VAr," which seems inconsistent with using "VA" for real power... Again, I'm just confused why they go against what seems like the obvious choice to me.

I think the idea is that AC and DC are becoming more like nouns rather than an acronym. It's probably like using laser instead of LASER. LASER actually stands for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation".

It still doesn't make sense to use "ac" because I would read that as something like "ack" every time I saw it. I couldn't even pronounce "dc" but my Polish friends probably could. Maybe there are Slavic language speaking people taking over the IEEE? I'm kidding of course.

Okefenokee said:
I think the idea is that AC and DC are becoming more like nouns rather than an acronym. It's probably like using laser instead of LASER. LASER actually stands for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation".

It still doesn't make sense to use "ac" because I would read that as something like "ack" every time I saw it. I couldn't even pronounce "dc" but my Polish friends probably could. Maybe there are Slavic language speaking people taking over the IEEE? I'm kidding of course.

A bit of googling seems to confirm what you're saying; however, I agree that it still doesn't make much sense. I would think the fact that we say "ay see" rather than "ack" would solidify ac as an acronym rather than a word.

Related to Why does the IEEE recommend using ac and dc instead of AC and DC?

1. What is the difference between AC and DC capitalization?

AC capitalization refers to the process of converting a company's expenses into assets on its balance sheet, while DC capitalization refers to the process of converting expenses into assets on a project or department level. AC capitalization is typically used for long-term assets, while DC capitalization is used for shorter-term assets.

2. How does AC capitalization affect a company's financial statements?

AC capitalization will increase a company's assets on its balance sheet, which in turn will increase its overall net worth. This can make the company appear more financially stable and attractive to investors.

3. Can expenses be capitalized under both AC and DC methods?

Yes, expenses can be capitalized under both AC and DC methods. However, the criteria for what can be capitalized may differ between the two methods. For example, some expenses may only qualify for AC capitalization if they meet a certain dollar amount threshold.

4. Are there any limitations to AC and DC capitalization?

Yes, there are limitations to both AC and DC capitalization. For AC capitalization, there may be specific guidelines and regulations set by accounting standards that dictate what can and cannot be capitalized. For DC capitalization, there may be limitations based on the company's budget or project scope.

5. How can a company determine which method of capitalization is best for their needs?

The decision on which method of capitalization to use will depend on the company's specific circumstances and goals. Factors to consider may include the length of the project, available budget, and accounting regulations. It is recommended to consult with a financial advisor or accountant for guidance on which method is most suitable for your company.