Why Does the Divergence Test Yield Different Results for These Series?

In summary, the first problem can be solved by finding the limit as K goes to infinity, but the limit for the second problem does not exist because n approaches infinity. So, 5/2 is convergent for the second problem.
MillerGenuine

Homework Statement

[tex]
\sum_{k=2}^\infty \frac{k^2}{k^2-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1+2^n}{3^n}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know that for the first problem i can apply the Divergence test by finding my limit as K goes to infinity. By doing this i get 1 which does not equal zero so i know it diverges.

Now my question is why can't i apply this same test to the 2nd problem? it seems as n approaches infinity i would get 1 as well. but that's not the case the correct solution for the 2nd problem is as follows..

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{3^n} + \frac{2^n}{3^n}
[/tex]

Then by using a little algebra and sum of two convergent geometric series we get 5/2 to be the answer. which is convergent.

So why can't i find my limit as n approaches infinity in the 2nd problem? and why is 5/2 convergent? i thought if r>1 the series diverges?
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can apply the Divergence Test to the 2nd problem, but it doesn't tell you anything because

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1+2^{n}}{3^{n}}=0[/tex]

so the series may or may not diverge (obviously you already know that it converges, but in the future..).

MillerGenuine said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
\sum_{k=2}^\infty \frac{k^2}{k^2-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1+2^n}{3^n}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know that for the first problem i can apply the Divergence test by finding my limit as K goes to infinity. By doing this i get 1 which does not equal zero so i know it diverges.

Now my question is why can't i apply this same test to the 2nd problem? it seems as n approaches infinity i would get 1 as well. but that's not the case the correct solution for the 2nd problem is as follows..

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{3^n} + \frac{2^n}{3^n}
[/tex]

Then by using a little algebra and sum of two convergent geometric series we get 5/2 to be the answer. which is convergent.
The series is convergent because it is the sum of two convergent geometric series.
MillerGenuine said:
So why can't i find my limit as n approaches infinity in the 2nd problem? and why is 5/2 convergent? i thought if r>1 the series diverges?
Any help is appreciated.
It makes no sense to say that "5/2 is convergent." For the first series, r = 1/3, making it a convergent geometric series. For the second series, r = 2/3, making it also a convergent geometric series.

Awesome. Thank you both for the help. I missed out on a this lecture so i was trying to teach it to myself by using the text and was clearly having a hard time. Everything seems to make much better sense now

Related to Why Does the Divergence Test Yield Different Results for These Series?

What is an infinite series problem?

An infinite series problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. These problems can be challenging because the sequence can have an infinite number of terms, making it difficult to determine the sum.

What is the difference between a finite and an infinite series?

A finite series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite series has an unlimited number of terms. In other words, a finite series has an endpoint, while an infinite series does not.

What are some common types of infinite series?

Some common types of infinite series include geometric series, harmonic series, and Taylor series. Each type of series has its own unique properties and formulas for determining the sum.

How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

An infinite series converges if the sum of its terms approaches a finite number as the number of terms increases. It diverges if the sum of its terms approaches infinity or does not have a defined value as the number of terms increases. There are various tests, such as the ratio test and the integral test, that can be used to determine convergence or divergence.

What are some real-world applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have many applications in science, economics, and engineering. For example, Taylor series are used in physics to approximate the behavior of complex systems, and geometric series are used in finance to calculate compound interest. Infinite series also have applications in computer algorithms and data compression.