Why Does the Cross Product of Normal Vectors Determine the Line of Intersection?

In summary, the problem involves finding the line of intersection of two planes, x+y+z=1 and z-2y+3z=1, using Gaussian reduction or taking the cross product of the normal vectors of the planes. The line can be parametrized in terms of either t or z, and the direction of the line is given by n1xn2, which is perpendicular to both normal vectors of the planes.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hi,

Find the line L of the intersection of the two planes
x+y+z=1
z-2y+3z=1

What I did was use Gaussian reduction on the augmented matrix. It was easy

[x y z] = [3/2 -1/2 0] + z[-5/2 3/2 1]
or in equation form or whatever it's called
x = 3/2 -5/2 z
y = -1/2 + 3/2 z
z is free variable

What my professor did was take the cross product of the normal vectors of the planes which I guess is just the coefficient matrix with the unit vectors

i j k
1 1 1
1 -2 3

let n1=<1,1,1>
and n2=<1,-2,3>

and he got
5i - 2j - 3k
I agree that this is correct
but then he set z = 0 and said you could set it equal to anything but he recommended zero because it would make the problem easier
got
x+y=1
x-2y=1
solved for x and y and got
x=1, y=0
so he used the point (1,0,0)
and said that the symmetric equation of the line was
(x-1)/5 = - y/2 = -z/3

so I figured out that the parametric equation of the line is
x = 5t+1
y=-2t
z=-3t

OK so I've studied some linear algebra and solved it the way I learned in linear algebra and got a different answer. The professor assumes that we haven't taken linear algebra yet. Yet I find it weird that we would parametric the line in terms of t when z is a free variable from what I learned in linear algebra, so it makes more sense to parametric the line in terms of z, at least that's what I would think.

I'm also not exactly sure why n1Xn2 gives you the direction of the line. Wouldn't n1xn2 give you the direction of the vector perpendicular to both n1 and n2. I don't see why this would be the direction of the line of the intersection of the planes. I also don't see why the components of n1xn2 would be the slope of the of the parametric line.

thanks for any help understanding this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
OK so I've studied some linear algebra and solved it the way I learned in linear algebra and got a different answer. The professor assumes that we haven't taken linear algebra yet. Yet I find it weird that we would parametric the line in terms of t when z is a free variable from what I learned in linear algebra, so it makes more sense to parametric the line in terms of z, at least that's what I would think.
you could paramterise in terms of either, it shouldn;t make a difference

GreenPrint said:
I'm also not exactly sure why n1Xn2 gives you the direction of the line. Wouldn't n1xn2 give you the direction of the vector perpendicular to both n1 and n2. I don't see why this would be the direction of the line of the intersection of the planes. I also don't see why the components of n1xn2 would be the slope of the of the parametric line.
The line of intersection is parallel to both plane one and plane 2, so is normal to both n1 and n2. Upto a multiplicative scaling, there is only one direction that satisfie sthis constraint and is given by n1xn2

Related to Why Does the Cross Product of Normal Vectors Determine the Line of Intersection?

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus, also known as Calculus III, is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to functions with more than one independent variable.

2. Why is Multivariable Calculus important?

Multivariable Calculus is important because it allows us to analyze and understand real-world phenomena that involve multiple variables, such as motion in three-dimensional space, optimization problems, and fluid dynamics. It is also a fundamental tool in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

3. What are the main topics covered in Multivariable Calculus?

The main topics covered in Multivariable Calculus include vector-valued functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, line and surface integrals, and the theorems of Green, Stokes, and Gauss. It also covers applications of these concepts in areas such as optimization, differential equations, and vector calculus.

4. What are some common challenges in learning Multivariable Calculus?

Some common challenges in learning Multivariable Calculus include understanding the geometric interpretations of the concepts, visualizing three-dimensional objects and surfaces, and keeping track of multiple variables and their relationships. It also requires a strong foundation in single-variable calculus and algebra.

5. How can Multivariable Calculus be applied in real life?

Multivariable Calculus has many applications in real life, such as in physics for calculating the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, in economics for optimizing production and profit, in engineering for designing structures and systems, and in statistics for analyzing multivariate data. It is also used in computer graphics and animation, as well as in many other fields that require modeling and analysis of complex systems.