Why Does the Atwood Machine Problem Calculation Differ from Expected?

In summary, Arildno explained that you need to figure out the acceleration constraints in order to solve the problem.
Shentar
I was given this problem below in my physics homework. :cry:

http://www.turbozcar.com/images/knight.Figure.08.40.jpg

It wants to know the acceleration of m1. I couldn't figure it out, so the next day a friend in class gave me the answer to be:
(2*m_2*g)/(4*m_1+m_2)

I took that answer back to my house and was going to work it out to understand it all. I got my girlfriend to help me out, but neither of us can get the answer to come out correctly. We both get:
(m_2*g)/(2*m_1+m_2)

I don't know where we are going wrong.
What I know:
the forces acting on m_1 is the tension in the rope.
The forces acting on m_2 is gravity (m_2*g) and then two tension forces acting upward.

If I'm missing something, please let me know. I have a test tomorrow on tthis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Your problem is that you have assumed that object 2 has the same acceleration as object 1.
This is however, physically impossible:

Suppose the rope segment attached to object 1 and "ending" at the fixed pulley shortens an amount L.

Since the rope remains of fixed length, the only viable situation is that the rope segment slung around the accelerating pulley has lengthened by L/2 on both sides of the pulley.
But this means that object 2's acceleration must be half of object 1's

I wouldn't feel too disappointed about not figuring that out, Shentar. I haven't found a physics text yet that's dealt with these types of pulley problems in a straightforward fashion. That's why I would recommend the REA's mechanics problem solver, which actually goes through the trouble of teaching you the methods of solving physics problems without the b.s. texts expecting you to just derive these methods on your own, while providing nothing but weak examples for you to learn from.

acceleration constraints

Just for the record, the problem you are working is not an Atwood's machine. An Atwood's machine looks like this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atwd.html

Nonetheless, one "secret" to solving problems involving multiple objects constrained by ropes and pulleys is to figure out the so-called acceleration constraints. This is what arildno explained. In this case, the constraint is that the magnitude of m1's acceleration equals twice the magnitude of m2's acceleration. Of course, when m2 moves down, m1 moves to the right.

(For the normal Atwood's machine, the acceleration constraint is: the magnitudes of the accelerations of the two masses must be equal. They, of course, move in opposite directions.)

Related to Why Does the Atwood Machine Problem Calculation Differ from Expected?

1. What is an Atwood machine headache?

An Atwood machine headache, also known as a "string headache" or "pulley headache," is a type of headache that occurs due to prolonged use of an Atwood machine. This machine consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses that are connected by the string. When the masses are imbalanced, the string creates tension and the pulley moves, causing a repetitive motion that can lead to headache symptoms.

2. What are the symptoms of an Atwood machine headache?

The most common symptoms of an Atwood machine headache include a dull or throbbing pain in the head, neck, and back, as well as sensitivity to light and sound. Some people may also experience dizziness, nausea, and difficulty concentrating.

3. How is an Atwood machine headache treated?

Treatment for an Atwood machine headache usually involves resting the affected area and avoiding further use of the machine. Over-the-counter pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medications may also be helpful in alleviating symptoms. In some cases, physical therapy or chiropractic care may be recommended to address any underlying muscle tension or alignment issues.

4. Can an Atwood machine headache be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent an Atwood machine headache, there are some steps that can be taken to minimize the risk. This includes taking breaks during use, using proper body mechanics, and ensuring the machine is set up correctly. It is also important to listen to your body and stop using the machine if you begin to experience any discomfort or pain.

5. Are there any long-term effects of Atwood machine headaches?

In most cases, Atwood machine headaches do not have any long-term effects. However, if the headaches are severe or chronic, they may impact daily activities and quality of life. It is important to seek medical treatment if you are experiencing frequent or severe headaches from using an Atwood machine.