Why does tape distribute static charge unevenly?

In summary, the experiment showed that two pieces of Scotch tape can attract each other due to static electricity, but there are some problems with the experiment that need to be addressed. First, the materials may not distribute charge evenly, and second, the top tape is consistently positive and the bottom tape is consistently negative.
Nienstien
There's a popular experiment where you get two pieces of Scotch tape and label one top and one bottom. You attach them together on their sticky sides and then pull them apart and they will attract showing that you can get static electricity without friction. Anyhow, when I thought about it I had a couple problems with how this worked out.

How can two like materials distribute charge unevenly? Isn't charge generally governed by the triboelectric series for non-friction events?

Also, the top tape was consistently positive and the bottom tape was consistently negative (Two top tapes from different trials would repel). This rules out a random event such as how the factory applied the adhesive.
I've researched a bit about the adhesive in tape and found that they are either chemically bonding or experiencing dispersive adhesion which involves Van der Walls attraction.

How can adhesives react like this to consistantly provide opposite charges if they are the exact same thing?

This question has been bothering me for a while and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
According to descriptions found elsewhere on the web, in this experiment the TOP tape is stuck to the smooth side of the BOTTOM tape, which explains why they acquire different charges and attract one another.

I've seen that version too but it works with the sticky sides facing as well which is questioning part. If you have tape you can try it for your self.

I wondered if it had anything to do with the Earth's electric field (which is directed downwards). In that case I'd have thought the top tape would become negative and the bottom positive. Anyway, a typical value for the field is 100 volts per metre, which is, I'd have thought, too low to cause enough charge separation for observable attraction. So I think we can rule out this explanation. Pity because it would account for the top/bottom symmetry-breaking.

Last edited:
Do you always pull the top tape off of the fixed lower tape.
My guess is that the moving tape will leave electrons behind and be positive.
Also, the speed of removal may affect the magnitude of the charge.

Related to Why does tape distribute static charge unevenly?

1. Why does tape produce static charge?

When two materials rub against each other, like tape and paper, electrons can be transferred from one material to the other. This results in one material becoming positively charged while the other becomes negatively charged, creating static electricity.

2. Why does tape distribute static charge unevenly?

Tape is made of a combination of materials, such as plastic and adhesive, which have different abilities to hold onto electric charges. This means that when tape is rubbed against another material, the electrons are not evenly distributed, resulting in uneven distribution of static charge.

3. Can the type of tape affect the distribution of static charge?

Yes, the type of tape used can greatly affect the distribution of static charge. For example, electrical tape, which is specifically designed to be non-conductive, will distribute static charge differently than regular adhesive tape due to its different material properties.

4. How does humidity affect the distribution of static charge from tape?

Humidity can greatly affect the distribution of static charge from tape. In dry environments, static charge is more likely to build up and remain on the tape. However, in humid environments, the moisture in the air can help dissipate the static charge, resulting in less uneven distribution.

5. Why is it important to understand the distribution of static charge from tape?

Understanding the distribution of static charge from tape is important because it can have various effects, such as causing objects to stick together or interfering with electronic devices. It is also important in industries where static electricity can pose a safety hazard, such as in explosive environments or in the handling of sensitive materials.