Why are two cellophane tapes attracted when ripped apart?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with cellophane tape and how it becomes negatively charged when pulled off a table. The question of how the charges are distributed between the two pieces of tape is raised and it is suggested to investigate whether the two pieces can function as a capacitor. The specific answer to this question is unknown and further experimentation is needed.
UseAsDirected
Hello,

I put two strips of cellophane tape adjacent to each other adhered onto a table. When I pull them both apart, they repel each other, both insulators ripped electrons from the wood.

When I stack two strips of tape on top of each other on a table, rip the combined bundle off the table, my experiment shows that the combined piece is negatively charged on each side. Yet, when I then rip this combined piece into its two constituents pieces, they attract to each other, the top piece immediately becomes positive, the bottom piece retains its negativity. This last step is not immediately obvious to me.

The best answer I can come up with is that more charged is ripped of the bottom sticky cellophane side from the table but less is ripped off from the top cellophane side from the non-stick bottom cellophane side, giving a net positive charge to the top cellophane tape and net negative to the bottom cellophane tape. Is that right? I draw the ideas on paper but there is always a handy-wavy gap of knowledge about how the charges distribute one step to the other. People draw these stacks as net positive and net negative yet I draw layers of positive and negative.

P.S. When I pull two stacked pieces of tape off of a table, do the negative charges equally distribute?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your question is a good one. Doing actual experiments, observing the results and cutthroat about the cause of the results is the scientific method.

Unfortunately, I don't know the specific answer to your question. There were many experiments like yours, especially in the 18th century. When rubbed, some materials become positively charged while others become negatively charged. Analysis of the details depends on molecular level interactions. In most cases, we don't even know which molecules are involved. Such is the case with your tape. I don't enter know what molecules are in the tape glue.

This Wikipedia article may help. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_charge#Electrification_by_friction. The article discusses the triboelectric effect caused by friction when two materials are rubbed. But it is not clear if that is what happens when you pull tape off.

I hope that another PF member can give a better answer.

Okay, thank you. Printed that out, looking forward to some other responses.

UseAsDirected said:
I draw the ideas on paper but there is always a handy-wavy gap of knowledge about how the charges distribute one step to the other.

One thing to investigate is whether the two pieces of tape can function as a capacitor when stuck together - i.e is the presumed negative charge on them unequally distributed even before you pull them apart.

Related to Why are two cellophane tapes attracted when ripped apart?

1. Why do two cellophane tapes stick together when ripped apart?

The attraction between two cellophane tapes is due to a phenomenon called "static electricity." When the tapes are pulled apart, the friction between them creates an imbalance of electric charge, causing them to stick together.

2. Is there a difference between the strength of attraction between two cellophane tapes?

Yes, the strength of the attraction between two cellophane tapes can vary depending on the materials used, the humidity in the air, and the amount of friction generated between the tapes.

3. Can the attraction between two cellophane tapes be affected by temperature?

Temperature can affect the attraction between two cellophane tapes. Higher temperatures can increase the amount of friction between the tapes, resulting in a stronger attraction. However, extreme temperatures can also cause the tapes to become brittle and lose their adhesive properties.

4. Why do two cellophane tapes repel each other when held close together?

When two cellophane tapes are held close together, the negative charges on one tape will repel the negative charges on the other tape, causing them to push away from each other. This is because like charges repel each other.

5. Can other materials besides cellophane tapes exhibit this attraction phenomenon?

Yes, any two materials that have different levels of conductivity can exhibit this attraction when rubbed against each other. This phenomenon is not limited to cellophane tapes and can be observed in various objects, such as balloons and hair after brushing.