Why Does Summation Not Converge?

• Thread starter hola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the question is why does summation from n=1 to infinity of (-1)^n or i^n or 1/n or -1/n not converge, despite the terms tending towards 0. The reason is that tending towards 0 does not guarantee convergence. Examples such as the harmonic series and the series involving (-1)^n and i^n demonstrate this. However, there is a trick involving the series for ln(x) that allows for the convergence of certain series. The conversation then shifts to discussing specific series and their convergence.
hola
Hey. This has been bugging me for a long time:
why does summation from n=1 to infinity of (-1)^n or i^n or 1/n or -1/n not converge, because summation from n=1 to infinity of 1/n^2 conveges. Don't the terms in (-1)^n or i^n or 1/n or -1/n(-1)^n tend to 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
While tending towards 0 is a requirement for convergence, it does not guarantee convergence. The most classic example, which you cited, would be the harmonic series, 1/n which does have a limit of 0 but still diverges. Though a limit of anything other than 0 would guarantee divergence.

hola said:
Hey. This has been bugging me for a long time:
why does summation from n=1 to infinity of (-1)^n or i^n or 1/n or -1/n not converge, because summation from n=1 to infinity of 1/n^2 conveges. Don't the terms in (-1)^n or i^n or 1/n or -1/n(-1)^n tend to 0?
[itex](-1)^n[/itex] and [itex] \quad i^n[/itex] do not tend to zero, so the associate series is not convergent.

Well,the trick is with the series
[tex] \sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k} [/tex].
IIRC it converges to
[tex]\ln 2 [/tex].

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Well,the trick is with the series
[tex] \sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k} [/tex].
IIRC it converges to
[tex]\ln 2 [/tex].

Daniel.

Hum, interesting. Think I might try to show that. From your post the other day, seems Euler Gamma functions may be involved.

I think it's just a matter of using the Taylor series for the logarithm.

You can start from this series
[tex] \frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^{2}-x^{3}+x^{4}-... [/tex]

and integrate it term by term and you'll have to put x=1 in the new series to find the formula which I've hinted.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
You can start from this series
[tex] \frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^{2}-x^{3}+x^{4}-... [/tex]

and integrate it term by term and you'll have to put x=1 in the new series to find the formula which I've hinted.

Daniel.

Thanks, I understand now (should know that I know). Actually I'd like to understand this one:

[tex] \sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{2k}=\frac{1}{2}\psi(n+1)+\frac{1}{2}\gamma [/tex]

I'll do some work on it and if I can't figure it out, I'll make a separate post in the general math and well, ask for help.

Related to Why Does Summation Not Converge?

1. Why do some summations not converge?

Some summations do not converge because the terms in the series do not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. This can happen when the terms in the series alternate in sign or increase too quickly.

2. How can I determine if a summation will converge or not?

There are a few methods for determining the convergence of a summation, including the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These methods involve comparing the given series to other known series that either converge or diverge.

3. Can a divergent summation still have a finite sum?

No, a divergent summation cannot have a finite sum. If a summation is divergent, it means that the terms in the series do not approach a finite limit, so the sum of the series is also infinite.

4. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent summation?

A convergent summation has a finite sum, meaning that the terms in the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. A divergent summation, on the other hand, does not have a finite sum as the terms in the series do not approach a limit.

5. Can a summation with an infinite number of terms still converge?

Yes, a summation with an infinite number of terms can still converge if the terms in the series decrease in value quickly enough. This is known as a convergent infinite series. An example of this is the geometric series, where the terms decrease by a constant ratio.