Why does oil show so many colors?

• Thread starter jos93344
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, when oil is spilled on the ground in the sun, it appears to have a variety of colors because the crests and troughs of certain colors of light cancel each other out.
jos93344
I noticed that when i was working on my car today that when i spilled oil on the ground in the sun it looked as if it had a bunch of colors in it. I know that used oil is black and black absorbs light. So why does it show all of these colors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thin film interference.

The crests and troughs of certain colors of light cancel each other out, so the oil displays all the colors that aren't canceled out. I may have something wrong there but that was my understanding of it, same goes for soap bubbles if you were wondering about those too.

Also please correct me if I have said something wrong here.

Entropee said:
The crests and troughs of certain colors of light cancel each other out, so the oil displays all the colors that aren't canceled out. I may have something wrong there but that was my understanding of it, same goes for soap bubbles if you were wondering about those too.

Also please correct me if I have said something wrong here.
No, that's more or less the right idea. Wikipedia actually has a decent explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference
Much of the article might be a bit technical but the pictures should give a good idea of what's going on.

Basically, whenever you have a thin film of something like oil, light reflects off both the top surface and the bottom surface of the film. If you have a specific relationship between the thickness of the film, the angle of the incoming light rays, and the wavelength of the light, those two reflections will destructively interfere (cancel each other out). For a slightly different specific relationship of those three quantities, the two reflections will constructively interfere (add together to produce a stronger wave).

For any given film thickness and angle, certain wavelengths undergo constructive interference and others undergo destructive interference. The constructively interfering waves will have the strongest intensity when they get to your eyes, so they mainly determine the color you see.

So does it do the same thing for new oil and old oil?

Last edited:
Pretty much yes.

I just wonder why you didn't notice such thing until recently
I noticed early in my childhood

netheril96 said:
I just wonder why you didn't notice such thing until recently
I noticed early in my childhood

i did notice it a long time ago but, never thought to ask why it did it.

Related to Why does oil show so many colors?

1. Why does oil show different colors?

Oil shows different colors because it is a mixture of different types of organic compounds, each with its own unique properties. When light hits the oil, it is refracted and reflected differently depending on the composition and thickness of the oil layer, resulting in different colors being observed.

2. Why does oil show a rainbow-like effect?

This rainbow-like effect is caused by the interference of light as it passes through the thin layer of oil. The different colors of light have different wavelengths and when they pass through the oil layer, they interfere with each other, creating the rainbow-like effect.

3. Why do some oils appear iridescent?

Some oils appear iridescent because they contain molecules that have a repeating pattern, which causes light to be diffracted and reflected in different directions. This creates the iridescent effect, where the color of the oil changes depending on the angle at which it is viewed.

4. Why do some oils show multiple colors at once?

This is due to the thickness of the oil layer. When the oil layer is thick, multiple colors can be observed because different wavelengths of light are being reflected at different angles. This is similar to the effect seen in soap bubbles.

5. Why do some oils show different colors under different lighting?

The colors of oil can appear different under different lighting conditions because the type of light, its intensity, and the angle at which it hits the oil can all affect how light is reflected and refracted through the oil layer. This can result in different colors being observed.