How long does engine oil really stay good?

• Automotive
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine Oil
In summary: The representative at the automotive repair and maintenance shop checked the oil level on the dipstick and told and showed me, the engine oil looks NEW and FRESH, and that I do not need to change the oil.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
If engine not used too often, can engine lubrication oil really stay good for most of that time? (few years)? I believed not but shop representative says, yes.
I though engine lubrication oil needs to be changed every few months or every 3 to 6 months, or every 3000 to 4000 miles, no matter what. Last time I had oil change was more than four years ago, and I have not driven the car for more than just a few miles per week, and not more than maybe two or three times per week. I thought the time was past due for an oil change.

Then the representative at the automotive repair and maintenance shop asked about how much driving I do, and checked the oil with the dip-stick, and told and showed me, the engine oil looks NEW and FRESH, and that I do not need to change the oil. To me, the oil on the stick appeared clear greenish with no sign of any dirt nor particles.

What's the best guidance here. How long can automotive engine oil stay in good condition, if a car is only used a couple times per week, not driven too far, through the months or years?

Likes russ_watters
Engineering news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
Summary:: If engine not used too often, can engine lubrication oil really stay good for most of that time? (few years)? I believed not but shop representative says, yes.

What's the best guidance here. How long can automotive engine oil stay in good condition, if a car is only used a couple times per week, not driven too far, through the months or years?
Synthetic? No "leadfoot"/jackrabbit driving? Nearly forever.

Bystander said:
Synthetic? No "leadfoot"/jackrabbit driving? Nearly forever.
Not synthetic ;, ordinary engine lubrication oil; I was not too fond of the higher price for synthetic engine lubrication oil. My usual driving behavior is slow accelerations most of the time, and coast as much as possible before pressing the breaks for stopping. Occasional stop-n-go type driving.

symbolipoint said:
How long can automotive engine oil stay in good condition, if a car is only used a couple times per week, not driven too far, through the months or years?
It will depend partly on temperature variations. Each day that the vehicle warms and cools, the engine volume will breath out, then breath in damp air. The water from the air will be neutralised by the detergents in the oil, until the detergent capacity is depleted.

Likes Tom.G
symbolipoint said:
I though engine lubrication oil needs to be changed every few months or every 3 to 6 months
This is the typical engine manufacturer's recommendation.
symbolipoint said:
How long can automotive engine oil stay in good condition, if a car is only used a couple times per week, not driven too far, through the months or years?
You must first define "good condition".

Will your engine last 190 000 mi instead of 220 000 mi? Maybe.
Will your engine break down in the next 6 000 mi? Definitively not.

Car manufacturers have similar criteria for automatic transmission fluid (usually every 2 years) and I've seen many many cars that never had their transmission fluid changed in their entire lifetime. The same goes for manual transmissions or differentials.

If the oil is not dirty, then you don't have particles that will break down lubrification. Even if you change the oil, you would probably not need to change the oil filter. I know that gasoline will gunk up after a few months - a kind of sticky wax forms up - which can obstruct the passages it goes through. I wouldn't be surprised that oil does something similar and that has something to do with such a time-wise recommendation for changing it.

The most important thing is to always have enough oil.

The car I have presently had its last oil change done by the previous owner at 236 000 mi, about 2 or 3 years ago. When I bought it at 249 000 mi, there was 1 liter missing (right at the low-level limit on the dipstick). Before selling it to me, he added 1 liter of 5W30 (it's supposed to be 5W20) - the cheapest stuff bought at the local gas station - and I added 2 000 mi in the last year since then. (Yes, you read that right, 15 000 mi since the last oil change.)

My owner's manual specified every 5 000 mi or 6 months (severe conditions, which is always true when driving in Canada). Here is the definition of severe conditions according to my owner's manual:
  • Driving less than 5 miles (8 km) per trip or, in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip.
  • Driving in extremely hot [over 90°F (32°C)] conditions.
  • Extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving.
  • Driving with a roof rack, or driving in mountainous conditions.
If it wasn't for that, the oil change recommendation would be every 10 000 mi or 12 months, and the oil filter every 20 000 mi.

Likes russ_watters and Lnewqban
jack action said:
The most important thing is to always have enough oil.
liquid level on the dipstick looked full. That means, I guess no burning oil and no leaking.

I think the main reason to change oil in your case is all the short trips make it likely that any moisture in the crankcase is likely not ever completely removed due to the engine not ever getting fully warmed up. Only you can know that for sure based on your driving habits.

Averagesupernova said:
I think the main reason to change oil in your case is all the short trips make it likely that any moisture in the crankcase is likely not ever completely removed due to the engine not ever getting fully warmed up. Only you can know that for sure based on your driving habits.
I could not guess. I certainly do not know.

Not much else to say. The car works well. It runs well. Man at Garage said oil looks clean, new, and fresh, and I do not need the oil to be changed. I will return there in about 5 months.

I have a PHEV and the factory recommends synthetic and a 12 month/12000 change cycle.

In the last 12 months I've used more oil than gas.

Vanadium 50 said:
In the last 12 months I've used more oil than gas.
Yeah, but the electrons! Billions and billions of electrons!

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd and anorlunda
I put back as many electrons as I take out.

Likes CalcNerd
Aww, you're such an environmentally conscious Physicist. :smile:

Here is my method. When checking the oil level via the dipstick I examine the oil with my fingertips. If it looks dark or feels gritty I will change the oil and filter. Not complicated.

1. How long does engine oil really stay good?

The lifespan of engine oil varies depending on several factors, such as the type of oil, driving habits, and environmental conditions. On average, conventional oil can last up to 3,000-5,000 miles, while synthetic oil can last up to 7,500-10,000 miles.

2. Can I extend the life of my engine oil?

Yes, you can extend the life of your engine oil by following the recommended oil change intervals and using high-quality oil filters. Regularly checking the oil level and adding more oil when needed can also help extend its lifespan.

3. How do I know when it's time to change my engine oil?

The best way to determine when to change your engine oil is by following the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals. You can also check the oil level and color regularly. If the oil level is low or the color is dark and dirty, it's time for an oil change.

4. What happens if I don't change my engine oil regularly?

If you don't change your engine oil regularly, it can lead to engine damage and decrease the overall performance of your vehicle. As the oil breaks down, it becomes less effective at lubricating and protecting the engine, which can result in increased friction and wear.

5. Can engine oil go bad if I don't use my car often?

Yes, engine oil can go bad even if you don't use your car often. This is because oil can break down over time due to exposure to oxygen and moisture. It's recommended to change your engine oil at least once a year, even if you don't drive your car frequently.