Why Does My Projectile Motion Calculation Keep Failing?

In summary, the stone is displaced horizontally and vertically at the catapult site by 19.6 meters and 36.33 meters at time t=1.11 and 1.77 seconds, respectively.
TS656577
[SOLVED] I'm stuck with college physics

My college professor decided he didn't want to teach this chapter on Motion in 2D and 3D so he left us to teach ourselves. My first question is this
A stone is catapulted at time t = 0, with an initial velocity of magnitude 19.6 m/s and at an angle of 37.2° above the horizontal. What are the magnitudes of the (a) horizontal and (b) vertical components of its displacement from the catapult site at t = 1.11 s? Repeat for the (c) horizontal and (d) vertical components at t = 1.77 s.
I got A and C and to find B and D, i thought I would use the equation y=vsin(x)t - (-4.9 t^2). I got 19.191 for B and 36.33 for D but both are wrong. (this homework is online) Am I missing something? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums,

I haven't worked through your problem, but have you attempted rounding your answers to 3sf?

Also, homework questions should be posted in the Homework forums.

Well, I did try rounding, but SF doesn't matter for this online program, and sorry, I didn't know there was a homework section

Homework Statement

My college professor decided he didn't want to teach this chapter on Motion in 2D and 3D so he left us to teach ourselves. My first question is this
A stone is catapulted at time t = 0, with an initial velocity of magnitude 19.6 m/s and at an angle of 37.2° above the horizontal. What are the magnitudes of the (a) horizontal and (b) vertical components of its displacement from the catapult site at t = 1.11 s? Repeat for the (c) horizontal and (d) vertical components at t = 1.77 s.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got A and C and to find B and D, i thought I would use the equation y=vsin(x)t - (-4.9 t^2). I got 19.191 for B and 36.33 for D but both are wrong. (this homework is online) Am I missing something? Thanks

TS656577 said:
y=vsin(x)t - (-4.9 t^2).

The equation should be;

[tex]y = u\sin\theta t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

Where u is your initial velocity and a=-g=-9.81 m/s/s.

Last edited:

Related to Why Does My Projectile Motion Calculation Keep Failing?

1. What are some tips for understanding college physics?

First, make sure to attend all your lectures and take thorough notes. It's also helpful to actively participate in class and ask questions. Additionally, practice solving problems regularly and seek help from your professor or a tutor if needed.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in college physics?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your problem-solving skills in physics. Start by mastering the basic concepts and then move on to more complex problems. It's also helpful to break down problems into smaller steps and work through them systematically.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in college physics?

Some common mistakes in college physics include not reading the problems carefully, ignoring units, and not showing all your work. It's also important to not rely too heavily on memorization and instead focus on understanding the underlying concepts.

4. How can I manage my time effectively in college physics?

Time management is crucial when it comes to succeeding in college physics. Make a study schedule and stick to it, prioritize studying for physics over other subjects, and break up your study sessions into smaller chunks to avoid burnout.

5. What resources are available for students struggling with college physics?

There are many resources available for students struggling with college physics. Your professor may offer office hours or study sessions, and your school may have a tutoring center. Additionally, there are online resources such as Khan Academy and YouTube tutorials that can provide extra help and practice problems.