Vector Nature pf Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the comparison of motion between an object projected horizontally and an object projected at an angle. The diagram provided shows a parabolic trajectory and the attachment gives further instructions on how to approach the question. The conversation also mentions using equations to express knowledge of projectiles, but clarifies that this assignment is qualitative in nature and requires understanding of motion.
hsadiq98

Homework Statement

If an object had been projected horizontally with the same magnitude as in the depicted situation, how would the motion compare with that of the object in the diagram? (I have drawn the diagram in my attachment and have done questions c and d but I don't understand question b at all... could someone explain this to me as well as see if my explanations for the other two questions make sense?)

Homework Equations

No equations, just knowledge of projectiles

The Attempt at a Solution

I first wrote: that x component would increase gradually if it was thrown in a horizontal direction but that is inaccurate.

Attachments

• assignment.pdf
    799.3 KB · Views: 243
Physics news on Phys.org
No equations, just knowledge of projectiles
Maths is the language of physics - so you can express "knowledge of projectiles" in terms of equations.
However, this assignment seems to be qualitative in nature... you just have to understand the motion.

In the attachment:
The diagram shows a parabolic trajectory for an object projected with initial speed ##v## at angle ##\theta >0## above the horizontal.
Part (b) asks about how the trajectory will be different if ##\theta = 0##.
So get a scrap of paper and sketch what you think will happen.
If you are uncertain, get an object and throw it at different angles and watch how it moves.

Just be a little careful.. You have used Vy at both point X and point Y. A fussy examiner might point out that only Vx is the same at both points.

Related to Vector Nature pf Projectile Motion

1. What is the definition of "vector nature of projectile motion"?

The vector nature of projectile motion refers to the fact that projectile motion involves both a horizontal and vertical component of motion, which can be represented by vectors.

2. How is the initial velocity of a projectile calculated?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in projectile motion?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. In projectile motion, the velocity is constantly changing due to the acceleration of gravity, while the acceleration remains constant at 9.8 m/s^2.

4. How does the angle of projection affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is maximized when it is launched at an angle of 45 degrees. As the angle of projection increases or decreases from 45 degrees, the range decreases. At an angle of 90 degrees, the range is 0, as the projectile goes straight up and comes back down to its initial position.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, decreases the horizontal and vertical velocity of a projectile, resulting in a shorter range and lower height. In some cases, air resistance can also cause the trajectory of a projectile to deviate from the expected path.