Why Does My Integration by Parts Solution Differ from the Textbook's?

In summary, I think I may have gotten stuck on solving an integration by parts problem. I was trying to solve it but somewhere along the line it got harder. I broke the problem up into two parts and preformed integration by parts on the first part. I then had to evaluate the first term at the limits 2 and infinity. I think I got it but I'm not sure.
bfd
Ok so I was attempting to solve an integration by parts problem and somewhere along the line I got stuck. Here's the problem:

[tex] \int^{\infty}_{2} {x^2 e^{-x} - 2xe^{-x}[/tex]

After using integration by parts twice I came up with this:

[tex]2xe^{-x} - x^{2}e^{-x} + 2e^{-x} \vert^{\infty}_{2}[/tex]

But this differs greatly with what my book has to say. They came up with an answer around .5. Any ideas on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bfd,

Its hard to tell what you did without seeing the steps, but I got what your book got. (I assumed the dx went after the second term in the integral). Break the problem up into two integrals. One with x^2*exp(-x) as the integrand and the other with -2*x*exp(-x) as the integrand. Preform integration by parts on the first integral. This should give you two terms one of which cancels the second integral out. Then you have to evaluate the first term at the limits 2 and infinity. Again one term will be zero and that should leave you with an answer.

Regrads

Allday said:
Hi bfd,

Its hard to tell what you did without seeing the steps, but I got what your book got. (I assumed the dx went after the second term in the integral). Break the problem up into two integrals. One with x^2*exp(-x) as the integrand and the other with -2*x*exp(-x) as the integrand. Preform integration by parts on the first integral. This should give you two terms one of which cancels the second integral out. Then you have to evaluate the first term at the limits 2 and infinity. Again one term will be zero and that should leave you with an answer.

Regrads

Hi thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure you could break up the integral so I just took it all as one problem. I'm pretty rusty when it comes to calculus. I will try that

Related to Why Does My Integration by Parts Solution Differ from the Textbook's?

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to integrate a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and involves choosing one function as the "u" term and the other function as the "dv" term.

2. When do I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is used when the integral of a product of two functions cannot be solved using other integration techniques, such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

3. How do I choose the "u" and "dv" terms in integration by parts?

The "u" term is typically chosen as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and the "dv" term is chosen as the function that can be easily integrated. This is known as the "LIATE" rule, which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential functions.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du, where u is the "u" term, dv is the "dv" term, v is the antiderivative of dv, and du is the derivative of u.

5. Are there any special cases in integration by parts?

Yes, there are a few special cases in integration by parts. One is when the "dv" term is a constant, in which case the integral can be solved using the power rule. Another is when the "u" term is a polynomial and the "dv" term is an exponential or trigonometric function, in which case integration by parts may need to be repeated multiple times.