Why does my cursor jump to the front of the word when....

• Thread starter alexdr5398
  • Start date
In summary, when you press control-backspace to delete a word, the cursor jumps to the front of the word. This is very annoying and does not happen on any other websites.
alexdr5398
Why does my cursor jump the front of the word when I press backspace?

It happens in the Introductory Homework forum. It's not happening as I type this and doesn't happen on any other site.

It is very annoying, does anyone know a way to fix it?

Physics news on Phys.org
alexdr5398 said:
Why does my cursor jump the front of the word when I press backspace?

It happens in the Introductory Homework forum. It's not happening as I type this and doesn't happen on any other site.

It is very annoying, does anyone know a way to fix it?
Control-Backspace erases all of the previous word. Any chance your Control key was pressed when this happened? Can you reproduce it? I just ran a test in HH/Intro Physics in a Reply window and had no problem. What OS and Browser are you using? Mobile or Laptop/PC?

berkeman said:
Control-Backspace erases all of the previous word. Any chance your Control key was pressed when this happened? Can you reproduce it? I just ran a test in HH/Intro Physics in a Reply window and had no problem. What OS and Browser are you using? Mobile or Laptop/PC?

Control is not being pressed. It's not deleting the whole word, it just deletes one letter then jumps to the start of the word. It doesn't happen in the reply window at the bottom of threads, but it does happen when I press the "Reply" button on specific posts.

I'm on Windows 10, using Chrome Canary, the developer version of chrome, since I was having a lot of trouble with the normal version. I guess it must be chrome doing this then.

Took me a solid 5 minutes to type this response because of this issue.

alexdr5398 said:
Took me a solid 5 minutes to type this response because of this issue.
I wondered where the heck you went! :smile:

Likes alexdr5398
The reply buttons on individual posts just insert text in the reply window.

Writing text in the input box is something your browser takes care of, the forum doesn't influence it. Should be a browser issue.

mfb said:
The reply buttons on individual posts just insert text in the reply window.

Writing text in the input box is something your browser takes care of, the forum doesn't influence it. Should be a browser issue.

Okay, I'll try to reinstall the browser then.

1. Why does my cursor jump to the front of the word when I am typing?

This could be due to a few different reasons. First, it could be a problem with your keyboard or mouse. If the keys or buttons are sticking or malfunctioning, it could cause the cursor to jump. It could also be an issue with the software or program you are using. Make sure to check for updates and try typing in a different program to see if the issue persists. Lastly, it could be a setting on your computer that is causing the cursor to jump. Try adjusting the cursor speed or sensitivity in your computer's settings.

2. How can I prevent my cursor from jumping to the front of the word while I am typing?

To prevent your cursor from jumping, try using a different keyboard or mouse to see if the issue is with the hardware. If that does not solve the problem, try adjusting the cursor settings on your computer. You can also try typing slower and more deliberately to see if that helps prevent the cursor from jumping. If the issue persists, it may be best to seek help from a computer technician.

3. Why does my cursor only jump to the front of the word in certain programs?

The issue may lie with the specific program you are using. It could be a bug or glitch in the program's code that is causing the cursor to jump. Try updating the program to the latest version or using a different program to see if the issue persists. If the problem only occurs in one specific program, it is likely due to a software issue rather than a hardware or computer setting issue.

4. Can a virus or malware cause my cursor to jump to the front of the word?

It is possible for a virus or malware to cause your cursor to jump, but it is not a common symptom. If you suspect that your computer may be infected, it is important to run a virus scan and take appropriate action to remove any threats. If the cursor jumping issue persists after removing any viruses or malware, it is likely not the cause of the problem.

5. Is there a way to fix my cursor from jumping without buying a new keyboard or mouse?

In most cases, yes. As mentioned earlier, the issue could be with your computer's settings or the software you are using. Try adjusting the cursor settings or using a different program to see if that solves the problem. If the issue persists, it may be worth seeking help from a computer technician before purchasing new hardware.