Linking to other threads in PF

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
In summary, the jbriggs44 method is to highlight the post number you want to make a link to, and then click on the icon that looks like a chain. This inserts the selected symbol at the very start of the post. When you hover over the icon, it says "Insert Symbol."
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I recently asked about how to make the short links to other threads.
jbriggs44 showed me this:
[URL=https://www.physicsforums.com/help/bb-codes]like this[/URL][/QUOTE]

Then Drakkith said "Highlight the text in your post you want to make into a link, and then click on the icon that looks like a chain."

I don't see any chain icons. The only icon I see is the large sigma (to insert symbols). Oddly, when I use that, it inserts the selected symbol at the very start of my reply/post (it doesn't insert at the cursor location).

Why can't I see all of the tool icons?

Internet Explorer 11, on a computer at work.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't see the reply box like I have it and the link button (circled in red using a touchpad while half-standing)?

blah.jpg

gmax137 said:

Hmm. I'm typing this up on Microsoft Edge and everything is identical to how it is on Chrome.
Perhaps try another browser if you can?

Drakkith said:
You don't see the reply box like I have it and the link button (circled in red using a touchpad while half-standing)?
No, I see only the one icon (∑) in the middle of the "toolbar" where you show B I U ... and all the rest.

gmax137 said:
No, I see only the one icon (∑) in the middle of the "toolbar" where you show B I U ... and all the rest.
When you hover over that icon, what does it say? Maybe it expands the toolbar?

berkeman said:
When you hover over that icon, what does it say? Maybe it expands the toolbar?

No, it just lights up and a little box opens below/next to it, saying "Insert Symbol"

Great! BTW, one thing that can confuse the browser and make it not display all of the menu items is if the browser window is sized too narrow. You might try pulling our the window sideways, or just maximizing it to see if the other icons become visible.

Likes dlgoff
gmax137 said:
Maybe your employer has disabled some browser feature.

For example, I know my own employer has disabled Javascript on all our browsers at work. But I only use PF at home on my own computer.

You can also just highlight the post number and right click copy, then paste it in the text box ... #8
Hint... open it in a new tab, also.

Last edited:

1. How do I link to other threads in PF?

To link to other threads in PF, you can use the thread's URL and insert it into your post using the "insert link" button in the post editor. You can also use the "threadid" number in the URL to link directly to a specific post within the thread.

2. Can I link to multiple threads in one post?

Yes, you can link to multiple threads in one post by using the "insert link" button multiple times and adding the thread's URL or "threadid" number for each link.

3. Is there a limit to the number of links I can include in one post?

There is no specific limit to the number of links you can include in one post, but it is recommended to keep the number of links to a reasonable amount to avoid cluttering your post.

4. Can I link to threads in other forums?

No, you can only link to other threads within the same forum on PF. However, you can mention threads from other forums in your post by using their title or a brief description.

5. How do I make the link open in a new tab or window?

To make the link open in a new tab or window, you can add the attribute "target="_blank"" to the link tag. This will ensure that the linked page opens in a new tab or window instead of replacing the current page.