Why Does My Calculation of Water's Temperature Change Give the Wrong Result?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the temperature change when 10 kg of water loses 232 kJ of heat. The equation delta t is equal to delta q divided by mc is used, but the calculated answer is incorrect. Suggestions are made to double check units and arithmetic.
punk_rawk_jazz
Does anyone know why I end up with the wrong answer?
The question is: Determine the temperature change: 10 kg of water loses 232 kJ or heat

I went delta q is equal to m c delta t, the derived the equation delta t is equal to delta q divded by mc. I therefore did the math as 232 kJ divided by (10 kg times 4.2 x 10 ^3 j/kg C) and got 9.7 x 10 ^4, when the answer was supposed to be 5.5. Does anyone know what I did wrong??

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I did it using your numbers and ended up with 5.5. I have two thoughts:

1) Watch your units. You're dealing with kilojoules in the numerator and joules in the denominator.

2) Watch your arithmetic: That's 232000 divided by 10 divided again by 4200.

for any help!

Hi there, it looks like you have the correct formula for calculating temperature change (delta T = delta Q / (m x c)). However, the mistake in your calculation seems to be in the units. The specific heat capacity (c) of water is 4.2 J/g°C, not 4.2 x 10^3 J/kg°C. This means that the correct calculation should be 232 kJ / (10 kg x 4.2 J/g°C) = 5.5°C. Make sure to double check your units when solving equations to avoid errors. Hope this helps!

Related to Why Does My Calculation of Water's Temperature Change Give the Wrong Result?

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that is generated by the movement of particles within a substance. This energy is responsible for the temperature of the substance and can be transferred from one object to another through mechanisms such as conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is measured in joules (J) using a thermometer. The thermometer measures the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, which is directly related to the substance's temperature.

3. What factors affect thermal energy?

The amount of thermal energy in a substance is affected by its mass, temperature, and specific heat capacity. Other factors that can influence thermal energy include the type of substance, its phase (solid, liquid, or gas), and the presence of external forces such as heat sources or insulation.

4. How is thermal energy related to other forms of energy?

Thermal energy is a form of kinetic energy, as it is associated with the movement of particles within a substance. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as mechanical energy (when it causes an object to move) or electrical energy (when it generates an electric current).

5. What are some real-life applications of thermal energy?

Thermal energy plays a crucial role in many everyday activities, such as cooking, heating and cooling buildings, generating electricity, and powering engines in vehicles. It is also used in industrial processes, such as melting metals and producing plastics.