Why Does My Calculated Integral Value Differ from the Expected Result?

In summary: Your name].In summary, the problem is to integrate the differential equation 2+5sin(4πt/25) and use the resulting function to calculate F(t) from 0 to 6. The correct solution is 2t-5(25/4π)cos(4πt/25)+C, where C is the constant of integration. When calculating F(6)-F(0), make sure to use the correct values and units for t. Also, double check that the calculator is set to the correct mode and that the correct value for π is used.
hangainlover

Homework Statement

integrate R(t) 2+5sin(4πt/25) to calculate F(t) from 0 to 6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the differential equation is 2+5sin(4πt/25)
so after the integration, i get 2t-5cos(4πt/25)(25/4π)
so i want to get the value in the interval from 0 to 6)

so i put 2+5sin(4πt/25) on my calculator and made it do the integration,
It gives me 31.8159
but when i F(6)-F(0) on this function, 2t-5cos(4πt/25)(25/4π), i get something entirely different.
My calculator is on radian mode and π is pie
What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution, but there may be a few things you need to check to ensure accuracy.

Firstly, when you integrate 2+5sin(4πt/25), you should get 2t-5(25/4π)cos(4πt/25)+C. The constant of integration, C, is important and should be included in your final answer.

Secondly, when you are calculating F(6)-F(0), make sure you are using the correct values for t. In this case, t=6 and t=0, not t=6π and t=0π. Also, make sure you are using the correct units for the values of t. If t is in seconds, then your final answer for F(6)-F(0) should be in seconds as well.

Lastly, double check that your calculator is set to the correct mode (radian or degree) and that you are using the correct value for π. Sometimes calculators have a different key for π, so make sure you are using the correct one.

I hope this helps and good luck with your integration! Don't hesitate to ask for clarification if you need it.

Related to Why Does My Calculated Integral Value Differ from the Expected Result?

1. What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are two fundamental operations in calculus. Integration is the process of finding the total or cumulative effect of a function, while differentiation is the process of finding the rate at which a function changes. In other words, integration is like adding up small changes over a given interval, while differentiation is like finding the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why are integration and differentiation important?

Integration and differentiation are important because they allow us to solve a wide range of problems, particularly in physics, engineering, and economics. They also form the basis for more advanced mathematical concepts, such as differential equations, which are used in many fields of science.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a theorem that links integration and differentiation. It states that if a function f(x) is continuous on an interval [a, b], then the integral of f(x) from a to b is equal to the difference of the antiderivatives of f(x) evaluated at a and b. In simpler terms, it shows that integration and differentiation are inverse operations.

4. How do you solve integration and differentiation problems?

To solve integration and differentiation problems, you need to understand the rules and techniques involved in each operation. For integration, you can use methods such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. For differentiation, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Practice and familiarity with these techniques are key to solving problems effectively.

5. What are the real-world applications of integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation have many real-world applications, such as calculating velocity and acceleration from position and velocity functions, finding optimal solutions in optimization problems, and determining the area under a curve in economics and physics. They are also used in fields such as statistics, biology, and chemistry to model and analyze data.