Why does bringing an object closer to Earth do negative work

In summary, Gravity does positive work as the kinetic energy of the object increases and potential energy decreases.
strategist
I'm reading through Sparknotes' explanation of the equation: U = -Gm1m2/r

"Off the surface of the Earth, there’s no obvious reference point from which to measure gravitational potential energy. Conventionally, we say that an object that is an infinite distance away from the Earth has zero gravitational potential energy with respect to the Earth. Because a negative amount of work is done to bring an object closer to the Earth, gravitational potential energy is always a negative number when using this reference point."

I really don't understand why bringing an object closer to Earth would do negative work. I've been trying to wrap my head around this statement for a bit and I'd appreciate a good explanation or some guidance. From what I understand work = F*d*cos(theta) so negative work would mean pushing the object away, wouldn't it? Why would that be required to bring an object closer to Earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is stated to be negative because no work is done against the field, rather it is the field that does work to bring it closer.

So a way to think about it is that 'we' do negative work in bringing it against the field since we allow the field to do so. However, if we were to bring the object back to the original position we would have to return this work with an equal amount of positive energy.

Electric to be said:
It is stated to be negative because no work is done against the field, rather it is the field that does work to bring it closer.

So a way to think about it is that 'we' do negative work in bringing it against the field since we allow the field to do so. However, if we were to bring the object back to the original position we would have to return this work with an equal amount of positive energy.
Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean by the "no work is done against the field". I mean I understand that letting the object just fall requires no work but why does just "allowing" the object to fall mean we're doing negative work? In my mind, that sort of sounds like we're doing zero work but I suppose the formulas don't allow for that. Can you explain it to me in that context of the equation of W= F*d because I still don't see how we're acting opposite to the direction of motion.

I do understand that to bring it back to the original position would require an equal amount of positive energy and maybe that's all I really need to know for my exam but I think I'd rather get the whole picture because as of now I can only think of it relatively (i.e. since pushing the object away does positive work the contrary must do negative work).

Okay upon consideration spark notes is wrong to say that a negative amount of work is done to the mass to bring it to the earth. Gravity certainly does positive work as the kinetic energy of this mass increases as it approaches earth. By convention however, the potential energy of the gravitational system becomes more negative since the zero point is set at infinity.

Likes strategist
I think part of the problem is that the explanation doesn't explicitly state who or what is doing the work. Gravity certainly doesn't do negative work, as the kinetic energy of the object is increasing and potential energy is decreasing.

Perhaps what they are trying to say is that the work done by you is negative? If you were to allow gravity to bring an object closer to Earth, and then you stop that object at some distance, the work you've done is certainly negative since the force you applied was against the direction of motion.

Likes strategist
Drakkith said:
I think part of the problem is that the explanation doesn't explicitly state who or what is doing the work. Gravity certainly doesn't do negative work, as the kinetic energy of the object is increasing and potential energy is decreasing.

Perhaps what they are trying to say is that the work done by you is negative? If you were to allow gravity to bring an object closer to Earth, and then you stop that object at some distance, the work you've done is certainly negative since the force you applied was against the direction of motion.
I think that is what they're implying actually. It's a little weird to think about. Would it be like I'm consistently pushing upwards on a falling object but that force I'm applying is less than the force of gravity? Either way, I hope something like this isn't on the SAT Physics subject test. I don't think I'd have to calculate this kind of work especially since you can't use a calculator on the test.

strategist said:
I think that is what they're implying actually. It's a little weird to think about. Would it be like I'm consistently pushing upwards on a falling object but that force I'm applying is less than the force of gravity? Either way, I hope something like this isn't on the SAT Physics subject test. I don't think I'd have to calculate this kind of work especially since you can't use a calculator on the test.

From my experience, they usually word questions like, "find the work done by all forces", "what is the work done by gravity", or "how much work did you do to stop the object". So there usually isn't any ambiguous questions, but you never know.

Likes strategist
Drakkith said:
From my experience, they usually word questions like, "find the work done by all forces", "what is the work done by gravity", or "how much work did you do to stop the object". So there usually isn't any ambiguous questions, but you never know.
Ah okay. So if they ask "how much work did you do to stop the object", what kind of information would you think I'd be provided? I just don't want to get caught off guard by something like this and wind up missing it on the test. The mass and radius alone wouldn't be sufficient, would they?

strategist said:
Ah okay. So if they ask "how much work did you do to stop the object", what kind of information would you think I'd be provided? I just don't want to get caught off guard by something like this and wind up missing it on the test. The mass and radius alone wouldn't be sufficient, would they?

Most likely they will want you to be able to find the difference in potential energy between two locations and perhaps use that value to determine something else.

Related to Why does bringing an object closer to Earth do negative work

1. Why does bringing an object closer to Earth result in negative work?

This is due to the fact that as an object moves closer to Earth, it is moving in the direction of the gravitational force exerted by Earth. This gravitational force is a conservative force, meaning that it does negative work on the object as it moves closer to Earth.

2. What is negative work and how is it related to bringing an object closer to Earth?

Negative work refers to the situation where the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its displacement. This is the case when an object is brought closer to Earth, as the gravitational force acts in the opposite direction of the object's displacement, resulting in negative work.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the amount of negative work done when it is brought closer to Earth?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the amount of negative work done. This is because the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses. Therefore, a heavier object will experience a greater gravitational force and thus do more negative work when brought closer to Earth.

4. How does the distance between the object and Earth affect the amount of negative work done?

The distance between the object and Earth does affect the amount of negative work done. This is because the gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. As the object gets closer to Earth, the distance decreases and the force increases, resulting in more negative work being done.

5. Is negative work always a bad thing when bringing an object closer to Earth?

No, negative work is not always a bad thing in this scenario. In fact, without negative work being done, the object would not be able to move closer to Earth. The negative work done by the gravitational force is necessary for the object to overcome its own potential energy and move towards Earth.