Why Does Average Speed Calculation Differ for Uphill and Downhill Travel?

In summary: Yeah exactly. Now, if you compare that to v = (d1 + d2)/(t1 + t2), you can easily see that these two expressions are not the same, *unless* if t1 = t2, in which case they become the same.
guppster

Homework Statement

A Bus drives 1km up a hill in 5.0 minutes. It then drives down the hill in 4.0 minutes. For the bus, find
a) the average speed up the hill
b) the average speed down the hill
c)the average speed for the whole trip
d)why is the answer for c) not equal to (speed up the hill + speed down the hill) / 2

Homework Equations

v = d / t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 1000/300 = 3.33 m/s
b) 1000/240 = 4.16 m/s
c) (1000 + 1000) / (300 + 240) = 3.70 m/s
d) *This is what i do not understand* The formula i am suppose to prove incorrect returns the same result as my calculation. Are my previous calculations incorrect, or are they suppose to be equal.
ie. (3.33 + 4.16)/2 = 3.745 m/s

Thanks,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

guppster said:

Homework Statement

A Bus drives 1km up a hill in 5.0 minutes. It then drives down the hill in 4.0 minutes. For the bus, find
a) the average speed up the hill
b) the average speed down the hill
c)the average speed for the whole trip
d)why is the answer for c) not equal to (speed up the hill + speed down the hill) / 2

Homework Equations

v = d / t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 1000/300 = 3.33 m/s
b) 1000/240 = 4.16 m/s
c) (1000 + 1000) / (300 + 240) = 3.70 m/s
d) *This is what i do not understand* The formula i am suppose to prove incorrect returns the same result as my calculation. Are my previous calculations incorrect, or are they suppose to be equal.
ie. (3.33 + 4.16)/2 = 3.745 m/s

Thanks,

They're NOT equal. 3.70 m/s ≠ 3.75 m/s

cepheid said:
Welcome to PF,

They're NOT equal. 3.70 m/s ≠ 3.75 m/s

Thank you for welcoming me to PF.
I am truly very grateful you replied.

Is there a valid reason for this inequality, i think it is because the velocity values are not very precise.

guppster said:
Thank you for welcoming me to PF.
I am truly very grateful you replied.

Is there a valid reason for this inequality, i think it is because the velocity values are not very precise.

Nope, that's not the reason. These two averages are not supposed to be the same, unless the car spends equal time covering both distances, which it doesn't. You can show this mathematically. If v1 = d1/t1 and v2 = d2/t2, and v = (d1 + d2)/(t1 + t2), how does v compare to (1/2)(v1 + v2) algebraically? Are they the same?

cepheid said:
Nope, that's not the reason. These two averages are not supposed to be the same, unless the car spends equal time covering both distances, which it doesn't. You can show this mathematically. If v1 = d1/t1 and v2 = d2/t2, and v = (d1 + d2)/(t1 + t2), how does v compare to (1/2)(v1 + v2) algebraically? Are they the same?

Um, No they are not the same.

guppster said:
Um, No they are not the same.

Did you work it out? Can you show me your work? Plug in the expressions for v in terms of d and t for each of the velocities (v1, v2).

v1 = d1/t1
v2 = d2/t2

like this?

(1/2)(d1/t1 + d2/t2)

guppster said:
v1 = d1/t1
v2 = d2/t2

like this?

(1/2)(d1/t1 + d2/t2)

Yeah exactly. Now, if you compare that to v = (d1 + d2)/(t1 + t2), you can easily see that these two expressions are not the same, *unless* if t1 = t2, in which case they become the same.

Related to Why Does Average Speed Calculation Differ for Uphill and Downhill Travel?

What is average speed up/down hill?

Average speed up/down hill is the measure of how fast an object is moving while traveling up or down a slope. It takes into account both the distance traveled and the time it takes to cover that distance.

How is average speed up/down hill calculated?

The average speed up/down hill is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken to cover that distance.

What units are used to measure average speed up/down hill?

The most commonly used units for average speed up/down hill are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Does the slope of the hill affect average speed?

Yes, the slope of the hill does affect average speed. The steeper the slope, the slower the average speed will be, as the object has to work harder against gravity to move up the slope.

How can the average speed up/down hill be used in real life?

The concept of average speed up/down hill is relevant in various real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a car driving up or down a mountain, or measuring the average speed of a skier going down a slope. It can also be used in sports, such as cycling or running, where athletes have to navigate both flat and hilly terrain.