Why does a light bulb burn out?

In summary, when a filament reaches a critical temperature, tungsten oxide begins to evaporate from it, decreasing its cross sectional area and increasing its resistance. This increase in resistance leads to an increase in temperature, causing more tungsten oxide to evaporate and creating a runaway process. The spot on the filament that thins first will be the spot that burns out first. On a molecular level, thermal energy is generated through electronic collisions with the fixed lattice atoms, creating defects that interrupt the flow of electrons and ultimately result in a decrease in current and conversion of energy to heat.
peteza

Homework Statement

The problem is that I cannot figure out why a filament will burn out in a particular spot. Higher resistance = lower current why does the filament heat up more?

Homework Equations

R2= R1[1+a(T2-T1)]
Resistance = (resistivity * L)/ A
R= V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that tungsten oxide evaporates form the filament when a critical temperature is reached. This causes the cross sectional area of the filament to decrease and increases resistance. Increased resistance results in increased temperature. The filament gives off more heat as the cross sectional area decreases. This could be because the current is reduced so this excess energy has to go somewhere so it is converted to heat energy and radiated from the filament. I just don't understand how a resistor dissipates heat and why the light bulb 'choses' to burn out in a certain spot.

Physics news on Phys.org
peteza said:

Homework Statement

The problem is that I cannot figure out why a filament will burn out in a particular spot. Higher resistance = lower current why does the filament heat up more?

Homework Equations

R2= R1[1+a(T2-T1)]
Resistance = (resistivity * L)/ A
R= V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that tungsten oxide evaporates form the filament when a critical temperature is reached. This causes the cross sectional area of the filament to decrease and increases resistance. Increased resistance results in increased temperature. The filament gives off more heat as the cross sectional area decreases. This could be because the current is reduced so this excess energy has to go somewhere so it is converted to heat energy and radiated from the filament. I just don't understand how a resistor dissipates heat and why the light bulb 'choses' to burn out in a certain spot.

I'm not very knowledgeable about such things but it seems to me you have answered your own question.

First:
"...tungsten oxide evaporates form the filament when a critical temperature is reached..."
then:
"...Increased resistance results in increased temperature..."
and finally:
"...tungsten oxide evaporates form the filament when a critical temperature is reached..."

i.e. it's a runaway process.

Whatever spot starts thinning first is the spot that will burn out first. A theoretically perfectly manufactured filament will evaporate evenly until the whole filament burns out in a puff.

so how exactly does a resistor decrease current and convert energy to heat energy? what is happening on a molecular level?

Thermal energy is generated via electronic collisions with the scattering center (fixed lattice atoms). At one position in the lattice you may have an energetic electron collide with the fixed lattice, this can change the structure of the lattice at that point which will interrupt the flow of electrons in that region. With this "defect" now in place, other electrons will collide with the defect further altering the current path, etc.

Related to Why does a light bulb burn out?

1. Why do light bulbs burn out so quickly?

Light bulbs burn out quickly due to the fact that they use a filament to produce light. This filament is made of a thin wire that heats up when electricity flows through it. Over time, this wire wears down and eventually breaks, causing the light to go out.

2. Can using a higher wattage bulb cause it to burn out faster?

Yes, using a bulb with a higher wattage can cause it to burn out faster. This is because a higher wattage bulb produces more heat, which puts more stress on the filament and causes it to wear down more quickly.

3. What causes a light bulb to suddenly burn out?

There are a few reasons why a light bulb might suddenly burn out. One possibility is that the filament was already weak or damaged, and the sudden surge of electricity caused it to break. Another possibility is that the bulb was exposed to a sudden change in temperature, such as a draft or a blast of cold air, which can also cause the filament to break.

4. Can vibrations cause a light bulb to burn out?

Yes, vibrations can cause a light bulb to burn out faster. This is because the constant shaking can weaken the filament and cause it to fail more quickly. This is why light bulbs in areas with a lot of movement, such as ceiling fans or garage doors, tend to burn out more often.

5. How can I make my light bulbs last longer?

To make your light bulbs last longer, you can try using lower wattage bulbs, as they produce less heat and put less stress on the filament. You can also avoid turning the light on and off frequently, as this can also cause the filament to wear down faster. Additionally, keeping the bulb away from vibrations and sudden changes in temperature can help prolong its lifespan.