Why Does a Floating Block Displace Water Equal to Its Weight?

In summary, the buoyant force acting on a block that weighs W and has 1/2 of its volume below the waterline is W. This is because when an object is floating, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the object. The amount of the object that is submerged depends on the density of the object compared to the density of water. If the object were to float on the waterline without any volume submerged, this would not be physically possible as the object must displace some water in order to have weight.
get_physical
the problem is:
a block that weighs W floats exactly with 1/2 of its volume below the waterline. What is the buoyant force?

Answer is W, but why is it W?

I thought that its 1/2 W because only 1/2 of the volume is below the waterline. if the buoyant force equals to the downward force, wouldn't the block be floating ON the waterline?

Physics news on Phys.org
By reading a few other posts on this forum, I think that I understand this to be an equilibrium concept in which if it is floating, then the Fb = to the weight of the block. However, what would the Fb be if the block was floating in the waterline?

get_physical said:
By reading a few other posts on this forum, I think that I understand this to be an equilibrium concept in which if it is floating, then the Fb = to the weight of the block.
Right.
However, what would the Fb be if the block was floating in the waterline?
What do you mean? If it's floating, and the only forces acting are gravity and the buoyant force--what can you conclude?

get_physical said:
I thought that its 1/2 W because only 1/2 of the volume is below the waterline. if the buoyant force equals to the downward force, wouldn't the block be floating ON the waterline?
If something is floating, then the buoyant force equals the object's weight. That's that!

But how much of the object is under water is a different question. That depends on how the density of the object compares to the density of water.

In other words, is Fb still W if the block floats ON the waterline? (without any volume of the block submerged)

get_physical said:
In other words, is Fb still W if the block floats ON the waterline? (without any volume of the block submerged)
That's not physically possible. If the object has weight it must displace some water.

Related to Why Does a Floating Block Displace Water Equal to Its Weight?

1. What is buoyant force and why is it important?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object placed in it. It is important because it allows objects to float in a fluid and helps in determining whether an object will sink or float.

2. Why is the buoyant force always directed upwards?

The buoyant force is always directed upwards because it is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of an object in a fluid. This pressure difference causes a net upward force on the object.

3. How is the magnitude of the buoyant force determined?

The magnitude of the buoyant force is determined by the volume of the displaced fluid and the density of the fluid. The greater the volume of fluid displaced, the greater the buoyant force. Similarly, the denser the fluid, the greater the buoyant force.

4. Why is the buoyant force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced?

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced because of Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that is displaced by the object. This principle applies to all objects submerged in a fluid.

5. How does the shape and density of an object affect the buoyant force?

The shape and density of an object do not affect the buoyant force, as long as the volume of the object remains the same. However, objects with larger volumes and lower densities will experience a greater buoyant force, allowing them to float more easily in a fluid.