Why does a capacitor discharge slowly?

In summary: Although usually it is not the resistance of the circuit that limits the discharge rate, it is usually the case that the discharge rate is limited by the size of the capacitor's internal resistance.
YES q THE zU19

Homework Statement

Explain why a capacitor will discharge, although very slowly when there is high internal resistance?

Homework Equations

V=IR Q=V/C

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused slightly by internal resistnace. Does that refer to regular resistance. From that high internal resistance results in large resistance therefore large p.d. therefore from Q=V/C V=QC so large voltage means that there will be large capacitance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Have you tried google, to see how a capacitor's internal resistance can be modeled?

Likes YES q THE zU19
YES q THE zU19 said:

Homework Statement

Explain why a capacitor will discharge, although very slowly when there is high internal resistance?

Homework Equations

V=IR Q=V/C

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused slightly by internal resistnace. Does that refer to regular resistance. From that high internal resistance results in large resistance therefore large p.d. therefore from Q=V/C V=QC so large voltage means that there will be large capacitance?

Are they asking about internal leakage current discharging the cap, or is it connected to a circuit and is discharging through that?

Capacitor internal DCR for external current flowing is usually not all that big, certainly not big enough to limit the external discharge rate in most circuits.

Likes YES q THE zU19
YES q THE zU19 said:
I see now from your attachment in your first try at this thread that you have quoted the question incorrectly. It is saying that a charged cap will discharge slowly when connected to a DVM with an internal resistance of 12MegOhm. That's not a capacitor internal resistance.

Can you maybe make a PDF of that one question with its figures, and UPLOAD it as a PDF? You can use PrimoPDF or some other free PDF writer software to do that. :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
Have you tried google, to see how a capacitor's internal resistance can be modeled?

I quote from what I have found:

"The smaller the Resistance or the Capacitance, the smaller the Time Constant, the faster the charging and the discharging rate of the Capacitor, and vice versa."

So since there is large internaal resistance then this will surely result in slow discharge rate of the capacitor?

berkeman said:
Are they asking about internal leakage current discharging the cap, or is it connected to a circuit and is discharging through that?

Capacitor internal DCR for external current flowing is usually not all that big, certainly not big enough to limit the external discharge rate in most circuits.

I definitely do not think it is with regarding internal leakage current. What I am sort of muddled with is that usually I get given questions with large resistance. Does a large internal resistance ensue in a large resistance I am sure it does, although it has been a while since I covered this.

I will try to sure.

Can I ask what a DVM is? Direct voltage something perhaps?

YES q THE zU19 said:
Can I ask what a DVM is? Direct voltage something perhaps?
DVM = Digital Voltage Meter, or
DMM = Digital Multi-Meter (basically the same thing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltmeter#Digital_voltmeter

It is a digital meter that has a high input resistance for voltage measurements (typically >= 10MegOhms)

Likes YES q THE zU19
Here is the question I am reffering too. I am not cheating on hwk or anything rather seeking help on a question. It is only worth one mark and what I am referring to is 2di.of the uploaded image, with the initial question attached.

Attachments

• Physics Part 1.jpg
    Physics Part 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 666
  • Physics Part 2.jpg
    Physics Part 2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 624
YES q THE zU19 said:
Here is the question I am reffering too. I am not cheating on hwk or anything rather seeking help on a question. It is only worth one mark and what I am referring to is 2di.of the uploaded image, with the initial question attached.
So given what I said about the internal resistance of the DVM, why will the capacitor(s) discharge slowly when the DVM is measuring their voltage? Are you familiar with how RC circuits work?

berkeman said:
DVM = Digital Voltage Meter, or
DMM = Digital Multi-Meter (basically the same thing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltmeter#Digital_voltmeter

It is a digital meter that has a high input resistance for voltage measurements (typically >= 10MegOhms)
I see thank you.

berkeman said:
So given what I said about the internal resistance of the DVM, why will the capacitor(s) discharge slowly when the DVM is measuring their voltage? Are you familiar with how RC circuits work?

Since it will discharge through the voltemeter. Since there is high resistance, then capacitance decreases from the Time constant=RC therefore the high resistance will result in a slow discharge?

YES q THE zU19 said:
Since it will discharge through the voltemeter. Since there is high resistance, then capacitance voltage decreases from the Time constant=RC therefore the high resistance will result in a slow discharge?
Mostly correct except for the typo I fixed. :smile:

Likes YES q THE zU19
berkeman said:

Thank you very much for your help.

Just to consolidate though, the internal resistance causes the overall resistance to be large in this circuit?

YES q THE zU19 said:
Just to consolidate though, the internal resistance causes the overall resistance to be large in this circuit?
Internal resistance of what? :smile:

Likes YES q THE zU19
berkeman said:
Internal resistance of what? :smile:

The internal resistance of the voltmeter which was very large.:)

YES q THE zU19 said:
The internal resistance of the voltmeter which was very large.:)
Yes, exactly. Any DCR in any capacitor will be negligible compared to the many MegaOhm input/internal resistance of a voltmeter.

Likes YES q THE zU19
Basically the voltmeter and the capacitor are in series, so the main resistance in the circuit is the internal resistance of the meter. That and the value of the capacitance give you the RC time constant of the decay of the capacitor voltage.

Likes YES q THE zU19
berkeman said:
Basically the voltmeter and the capacitor are in series, so the main resistance in the circuit is the internal resistance of the meter. That and the value of the capacitance give you the RC time constant of the decay of the capacitor voltage.

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful.

berkeman said:

After giving this some thought;

V = V0 e^(-t/RC) so as resistance increases then voltage decreases? Doesn't this contradict what you said - or am I totally wrong.

And what does DCR mean :/
Digital something resistance?

YES q THE zU19 said:
V = V0 e^(-t/RC) so as resistance increases then voltage decreases?
Not exactly. The voltage v(t) across the capacitor decays with the time constant RC because the internal resistance of the DVM is across the capacitor when it is measuring the capacitor voltage. The time constant is RC, so a bigger capacitance means that the capacitor voltage takes longer to decay towards zero. And a bigger resistance (in this case in the DVM) means that the capacitor voltage takes longer to decay towards zero.
YES q THE zU19 said:
And what does DCR mean
DC Resistance. Capacitors and inductors have a parasitic DCR in real circuits, but that doesn't affect this problem here.

Likes YES q THE zU19
berkeman said:
Not exactly. The voltage v(t) across the capacitor decays with the time constant RC because the internal resistance of the DVM is across the capacitor when it is measuring the capacitor voltage. The time constant is RC, so a bigger capacitance means that the capacitor voltage takes longer to decay towards zero. And a bigger resistance (in this case in the DVM) means that the capacitor voltage takes longer to decay towards zero.

DC Resistance. Capacitors and inductors have a parasitic DCR in real circuits, but that doesn't affect this problem here.

Thank you for your help. :)

Related to Why does a capacitor discharge slowly?

1. Why does a capacitor discharge slowly?

A capacitor discharges slowly because of its ability to store electrical charge. When a capacitor is fully charged, it contains an electric field that opposes the flow of current. As the capacitor discharges, the electric field weakens, allowing more current to flow and resulting in a slow discharge.

2. How does the type of capacitor affect its discharge rate?

The type of capacitor can affect its discharge rate in a few ways. Capacitors with larger surface areas or higher capacitance values tend to discharge more slowly than smaller capacitors. Similarly, capacitors with higher dielectric constants or thicker dielectric materials may also discharge more slowly. However, other factors such as the circuit design and external resistances can also impact the discharge rate.

3. What factors can cause a capacitor to discharge faster than expected?

Several factors can cause a capacitor to discharge faster than expected. These include a higher voltage applied to the capacitor, a thinner or lower quality dielectric material, and lower external resistances in the circuit. Temperature can also play a role, as higher temperatures can increase the rate of discharge.

4. Can a capacitor discharge be reversed?

Yes, a capacitor discharge can be reversed through a process known as "recharging." This involves applying a voltage source to the capacitor that is greater than the remaining charge on the capacitor. This will cause the capacitor to begin charging in the opposite direction, effectively reversing the discharge.

5. How can the rate of capacitor discharge be controlled?

The rate of capacitor discharge can be controlled through several methods. One way is by adjusting the external resistances in the circuit, which can limit the flow of current and slow down the discharge. Another method is by using a discharge resistor in parallel with the capacitor, which can provide a controlled path for the stored charge to dissipate. Additionally, changing the capacitance or voltage of the capacitor can also affect the rate of discharge.