Why Does \( a^3 \equiv a \mod 3 \) Hold for All Integers \( a \)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that if a is an integer, then a^3 is congruent to a modulo 3. The proof is presented using a case for a being even, and the question is raised about how to prove it for all a being integers. The answer suggests using Fermat's Little Theorem.
RichardParker

Homework Statement

If a [tex]\in[/tex] Z, then [tex]a^3 \equiv a (mod 3) [/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution

Proof: Suppose a [tex]\in[/tex] Z. Thus a is either odd or even.

Case 1: Let a be even. Thus a = 2k, for some [tex]k[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] Z. So [tex] a^3 - a = 8k^3 -2k = 2(4k^3 - k) = 2(k)(2k - 1)(2k + 1)[/tex]. Notice that, for all [tex]k[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] Z, [tex](k)(2k - 1)(2k + 1) = 3b[/tex], for some [tex]b[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] Z. Thus [tex]a^3 - a = 2*3b[/tex]. This means [tex]3|(a^3 - a)[/tex]. Therefore [tex]a^3 \equiv a (mod 3) [/tex].

(I did not continue with the case of a being odd.)

My question is how do I prove that [tex](k)(2k - 1)(2k + 1) = 3b[/tex], for some [tex]b[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] Z, is it enough that [tex](k)(2k - 1)(2k + 1) = 3b[/tex] is observable on any k?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try your argument on a3 - a without assuming a even or odd.

Thanks for your reply.

Without assuming a even or odd,

a(a-1)(a+1) = 3b, for some b element of the set of integers. It is observable that a^3 - a is divisible by 3 for any value of a that I plug in. But how do I prove that this will hold for all a element of integers?

Thanks once again!

RichardParker said:
Thanks for your reply.

Without assuming a even or odd,

a(a-1)(a+1) = 3b, for some b element of the set of integers. It is observable that a^3 - a is divisible by 3 for any value of a that I plug in. But how do I prove that this will hold for all a element of integers?

Thanks once again!

Well, a-1, a, a+1 are three consecutive integers...

Proof: Fermat's Little Theorem! Q.E.D

Related to Why Does \( a^3 \equiv a \mod 3 \) Hold for All Integers \( a \)?

What is a "Proof, integer problem"?

A "Proof, integer problem" is a type of mathematical problem that involves proving a statement about integers, or whole numbers, using logical arguments and mathematical principles.

How do you solve a "Proof, integer problem"?

To solve a "Proof, integer problem", you must carefully examine the given statement and use mathematical reasoning to prove it is true for all possible integer values. This often involves using properties of integers, such as even and odd numbers, prime numbers, and divisibility.

What makes a "Proof, integer problem" challenging?

"Proof, integer problems" can be challenging because they require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think critically and logically. They often involve complex equations and require multiple steps to arrive at a solution.

What are some common strategies for solving "Proof, integer problems"?

Some common strategies for solving "Proof, integer problems" include breaking down the statement into smaller parts, using counterexamples to disprove a statement, and using mathematical induction to prove a statement for all integer values.

Why are "Proof, integer problems" important in science?

"Proof, integer problems" are important in science because they help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for conducting scientific research. They also allow scientists to prove the validity of their theories and hypotheses using mathematical evidence.