Why do we use Cascade Refrigeration Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of Cascade Refrigeration Systems compared to normal Refrigeration Systems. The speaker's opinion is that there is a bump in efficiency during the phase change from gas to liquid, and having two bumps is even better. They also mention that compression of gas to a denser state is less efficient in transferring heat compared to compression of propane to a liquid state. The use of different gases, such as carbon dioxide, can improve efficiency by staying within a specific temperature range.
Yousef Dajani
I know that the Cascade Refrigeration Systems are more efficient than the normal Refrigeration Systems, but I still don't know why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My thought is that you have an effective bump in efficiency at phase change from gas to liquid and the farther you get from the bump the less efficient... So two bumps is better

Andy SV said:
My thought is that you have an effective bump in efficiency at phase change from gas to liquid and the farther you get from the bump the less efficient... So two bumps is better
I don't understand your opinion

Big sigh ... Yea I get that a lot

Ok so I will try to rephrase with more clarity.
Change from let's say liquid propane to a gas eats heat. But a change from gas to a thinner gas does to just not as much. Compression of that gas to a denser gas forces out the heat but not as much as compression of the propane to a liquid. So the temperature pressure range closer to where it changes phase is more efficient at moving heat. But that is not a wide range. So you get a different gas like carbon dioxide and cool it with the propane now it's a lot easier to concentrate condense into a liquid and you can stay in the temperature band that it is efficient in.
I hope that is better

Related to Why do we use Cascade Refrigeration Systems?

1. Why do we need refrigeration systems in the first place?

Refrigeration systems are necessary for preserving and storing perishable items, such as food and medicine. They work by removing heat from the inside of a closed space, keeping the temperature low enough to prevent spoilage or degradation of the items.

2. What is the advantage of using a Cascade Refrigeration System over other types of refrigeration systems?

A Cascade Refrigeration System uses multiple stages of refrigeration, with each stage having its own compressor and condenser. This allows for better efficiency and lower energy consumption compared to single-stage systems, making it a more cost-effective option.

3. How does a Cascade Refrigeration System work?

A Cascade Refrigeration System works by using two separate refrigerant circuits. The first circuit operates at a higher temperature and removes heat from the space to be cooled. The second circuit operates at a lower temperature and removes heat from the first circuit, allowing for even lower temperatures to be achieved.

4. When is it necessary to use a Cascade Refrigeration System?

A Cascade Refrigeration System is typically used when very low temperatures are required, such as in industrial processes or in storing certain types of products. It is also commonly used in refrigeration units for scientific research and laboratory purposes.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a Cascade Refrigeration System?

One potential drawback of a Cascade Refrigeration System is that it is more complex and requires more maintenance compared to single-stage systems. Additionally, the use of multiple refrigerants may pose a risk in terms of environmental impact if not properly managed and disposed of. However, the benefits of improved efficiency and lower energy consumption often outweigh these drawbacks.