Why do the males always initiate mating rituals?

• Thread starter Navin
  • Start date
In summary: Not always, but in most species.Often, sexes are not spending the same resources when it comes to breeding, one sex is "investing" significantly more energy/time/other resources into children. (Usually it's females, but there are a number of exceptions).Whichever sex that is, its optimal strategy is to be more careful, picky in selecting a mate (because "it costs a lot" to have a child, better make it count), whereas the other sex's optimal strategy is to procreate with maximum possible number of mates (since it's "cheap").
Navin
Be it the dancing peakock or the head bobbing lovebird, or the suicidal Praying mantis.
Why do males initiate mating first in animal

If my above statement is wrong...yoo hoo yay equality !
I don't know all those Nat Geo and Discovery Shows made me think of thisEdit 1

Since people are questioning if i have done any reasearch (which i have) here !

https://www.britannica.com/topic/courtship

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0053057

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3458092/

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4761381These were the articles i read when i searched on courship behaviour and most of them were Male.
There was a lack of female courtship behavioural studies which surprized me.Then i remebered about how on various Nat Geo shows i saw only males doing funny mating action and females not doing much.
Then i poated this article.

Am i still Guilty Your Honour ? Has the Joury Past My Innocence ?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Navin said:
If my above statement is wrong...yoo hoo yay equality !
<< Post edited by Mentors after OP went back and added links to his first post >>

If your above statement is wrong, you have posted a message here without doing any effort of your own to determine if it is true.

Two words: Syngnathus typhie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes atyy and BillTre
Navin said:
Be it the dancing peakock or the head bobbing lovebird, or the suicidal Praying mantis.
Why do males initiate mating first in animal

Not always, but in most species.

Often, sexes are not spending the same resources when it comes to breeding, one sex is "investing" significantly more energy/time/other resources into children. (Usually it's females, but there are a number of exceptions).

Whichever sex that is, its optimal strategy is to be more careful, picky in selecting a mate (because "it costs a lot" to have a child, better make it count), whereas the other sex's optimal strategy is to procreate with maximum possible number of mates (since it's "cheap").

Likes BillTre, BWV and Navin
Th
nikkkom said:
Not always, but in most species.

Often, sexes are not spending the same resources when it comes to breeding, one sex is "investing" significantly more energy/time/other resources into children. (Usually it's females, but there are a number of exceptions).

Whichever sex that is, its optimal strategy is to be more careful, picky in selecting a mate (because "it costs a lot" to have a child, better make it count), whereas the other sex's optimal strategy is to procreate with maximum possible number of mates (since it's "cheap").
Thank you so much

Vanadium 50 said:
If your above statement is wrong, you have posted a message here without doing any effort of your own to determine if it is true. This is lazy, and deeply disrespectful of others' time. How much less valuable is our time than yours?

Two words: Syngnathus typhie.
<< Post edited by a Mentor to remove a mild insult >>

I aldredy found Syngnathus typhie by the way but apart from that (and maybe the Bonobo) there was not a lot of other names i had come up to.
Plus this site is more reliable...so learn not what the fond eye doth teach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do the males always initiate mating rituals ?
They don't in Humans; especially since the availability of birth control measures. That tends to equalize the 'Costs'. :biggrin:

Likes Navin
No. We are getting too much anthropocentric speculation in this thread. And a lot of what was said about humans is culture centric. Let's not do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis - no males involved at all in animal reproduction

Do a search for Hopi matrilineal, Navajo matrilineal, Iroquois matrilineal. Matriarchal also provides lots of counterexamples to 'who detetermines what' in human mating choices.

Next time please provide references.

Likes berkeman and Navin

Related to Why do the males always initiate mating rituals?

1. Why do male animals typically initiate mating rituals?

This is due to a combination of evolutionary and social reasons. In many species, the males are larger and more physically dominant, which allows them to compete for and attract females. Additionally, there may be societal norms or behaviors passed down through generations that dictate that males should take the lead in mating.

2. Is this behavior seen in all animal species?

No, there are some species where females take the lead in initiating mating rituals. This is often seen in species where the females are larger or have more complex mating behaviors, such as in insects or spiders.

3. Can female animals also initiate mating rituals?

Yes, there are some species where both males and females can initiate mating behaviors. This is especially common in species where the males and females are similar in size and strength, and both are needed for successful reproduction.

4. Are there any benefits to males initiating mating rituals?

For some species, this behavior may increase the chances of successful mating and reproduction. By actively competing for and attracting females, males can ensure that they are mating with the most desirable partners and passing on their genes to the next generation.

5. Can this behavior change over time?

Yes, there have been cases where social or environmental factors have caused a shift in mating behaviors. For example, in species with male-dominated mating rituals, if there is a decrease in the number of males due to environmental factors or hunting, females may start taking on a more active role in initiating mating.