Why Do Some Places Have Weird Gravity Anomalies?

In summary, certain places around the world are known for their weird gravity anomalies, including Spook Hill in Florida and Knotts Berry Farm in California. These anomalies are often just optical illusions, such as those found on the website eyetricks.com. The Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz is another example of a planned optical illusion. Gravity Hill in New Paris, Pennsylvania is a phenomenon where cars roll uphill and water flows the wrong way, but it is actually just a road in a remote corner of Bedford County. A guide to Gravity Hill can be obtained by calling (800) 765-3331 or emailing dtice@bedford.net.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, here's a popular claim.

All over the world, certain places are known for their weird gravity anomalies. PAUL SIEVEKING rounds up some of the most notable, while JIM CONLAN uncovers the folklore behind Florida’s best known example, Spook Hill.

http://forteantimes.com/articles/178_backwards.shtml

There is a similar gravity anomaly right in the middle of Knotts Berry Farm - an amusement park in Buena Park, California.
IMAGINE THAT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why am I not surprised?

Note that this is an optical solution to a gravity anomaly.

The Mystery Spot (just down the road from me in Santa Cruz) is nothing but planned optical illusions. Even the tour guides there, when pressed, will admit it. I presume the other locales mentioned are similarly uninteresting. The article is tripe.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
The Mystery Spot (just down the road from me in Santa Cruz) is nothing but planned optical illusions. Even the tour guides there, when pressed, will admit it. I presume the other locales mentioned are similarly uninteresting. The article is tripe.

- Warren
Planned? That's disappointing. I think this sort of illusion is pretty cool when it happens on its own. I don't know what is so unique about these places though - I drive stick and when I let off the brake, I'm often surprised at which way the car rolls.

i have in my cheesy little paws right now the "Official Guide to Gravity Hill"--have planned to visit over a year now...

curiously, simply driving through the mountains usually gives an illusion that's odd-doesn't 'look' like you're going up ,but the car will be struggling along-yet looking behind, it's quite obvious and surprising that you're going up at a angle...

at this place one can pour water on the road and watch it go uphill or see basketball roll uphill...the guide can be ordered and i'd suggest it--they seem to be a fun 'neighborhood'...

===
Located in the suburbs of New Paris, PA (South Central Pennsylvania)... Gravity Hill is a phenomenon. Cars roll uphill and water flows the wrong way. It's a place where gravity has gone haywire. There is no fee to venture onto Gravity Hill. It is, quite simply, a road in a remote corner of Bedford County.

http://www.gravityhill.com/index.htm

If you want more info about Gravity Hill, and
are cool, calm and collected, we'll send you
"THE OFFICIAL (as it gets) GUIDE"
to Gravity Hill, and our Bedford
County Visitors Guide. Call
(800)765-3331

Or, email us at dtice@bedford.net
=====
the 'guide' has a little more info than the website (Bedford C0. tourist info)-same humorous approach...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by russ_watters
I drive stick and when I let off the brake, I'm often surprised at which way the car rolls.

Russ, it rolls down hill. Jeez!

Related to Why Do Some Places Have Weird Gravity Anomalies?

1. What are weird gravity anomalies?

Weird gravity anomalies are areas on Earth where the gravitational force is significantly different than what is expected based on the surrounding terrain and mass. These anomalies can be either stronger or weaker than the normal gravitational force.

2. What causes weird gravity anomalies?

The causes of weird gravity anomalies can vary. Some are caused by differences in the density of the Earth's crust, such as underground caves or mineral deposits. Others can be caused by variations in the Earth's rotation or by the presence of large masses, such as mountains or ocean trenches.

3. Can weird gravity anomalies affect everyday life?

In most cases, no. The differences in gravitational force in these anomalies are typically very small and have little effect on everyday life. However, in extreme cases, such as near a black hole, the effects can be significant and can even cause time to slow down or speed up.

4. Are there any benefits to studying weird gravity anomalies?

Yes, studying weird gravity anomalies can provide valuable information about the composition and structure of the Earth's crust. It can also help with geological surveys and mineral exploration. Additionally, understanding these anomalies can aid in our understanding of gravity and its role in the universe.

5. Are there any known weird gravity anomalies on other planets?

Yes, there are known weird gravity anomalies on other planets and moons in our solar system. For example, Mars has a large, irregularly shaped gravity anomaly caused by the massive Tharsis volcanic complex. The moon also has several anomalies, including the Mare Orientale basin and the South Pole-Aitken basin, which are both associated with large impacts.

Back