Why Do Repetitive Ads Annoy Us?

• Thread starter jensel
  • Start date
In summary: in summary, the advertisement irritates people who don't like string theory because it's constantly in their face, and those who are interested in the theory may be discouraged from exploring it further because of the ads.
jensel
Strings are that cool!

>> Tying string theory together: A new book attempts to explain string theory to the masses"

Why am I constantly be annoyed by such an advertisement? I don't mean the theme (where I personally disagree).

Jens

Physics news on Phys.org

Advertising is tuned to the content of the pages you view. If you spend a lot of time reading threads that involve string theory, it's not unreasonable to expect to see the ad you describe above.

Gokul43201 said:
Advertising is tuned to the content of the pages you view. If you spend a lot of time reading threads that involve string theory, it's not unreasonable to expect to see the ad you describe above.

I did not spend one second here in string theory. I did touch GRT but this means not that I am interested in 11 or whatever dimensions. For me this has some sort of flavour which Smolin is thinking about. Is it so attractive to get new students believing in string theory? It would be more helpful for upcoming students to get links to tutorials or something but this may not pay out.

jensel said:
>> Tying string theory together: A new book attempts to explain string theory to the masses"

Why am I constantly be annoyed by such an advertisement? I don't mean the theme (where I personally disagree).

Jens

There's a very easy way around that annoyance...

https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php

...and boom! All PF, no ads!

:wink: :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

lisab said:
There's a very easy way around that annoyance...

https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php

...and boom! All PF, no ads!

:wink: :smile:

Got it, Lisa! :smile: And since I have a new theory about spaghetti instead of strings (in combination with a galacticly great 23 dimensional tomato sauce) I may profit some day from this ads, if my book is ready. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Do Repetitive Ads Annoy Us?

What are strings made of?

Strings are made of thin, flexible pieces of material such as nylon, steel, or gut. They are used to produce sound on string instruments like guitars, violins, and cellos.

How do strings create sound?

When a string is plucked, it vibrates and produces sound waves. The frequency of these vibrations determines the pitch of the sound. The length, thickness, and tension of the string also affect the sound produced.

Why are strings important in music?

Strings add depth, texture, and character to music. They can create a wide range of sounds and emotions, from soft and delicate to strong and powerful. String instruments are also versatile and can be used in many different genres of music.

What is the difference between a string and a rope?

A string is typically thinner than a rope and is designed to produce sound when played on a musical instrument. A rope is thicker and stronger, and is used for tasks such as tying or pulling objects.

Can strings be used for things other than music?

Yes, strings have many other practical applications, such as in sports equipment (e.g. tennis rackets, fishing rods), surgical procedures, and even in building and construction (e.g. string lines for leveling). They are also used in various forms of art and crafts.